VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

various electrical faults related???

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hybrid800 
#1 ·
Hi, bought a T4 on Friday. When i had gotten it the battery light was on the dash but was charging at 13v..no good so replaced with a brand new one. Now IS charging at between 14-14.5 however the battery charging light is still on.

Since then i have now noticed that i have no brake warning light (hand brake). also if i unplug the brake reservoir it also does not bring that light on. Also i dont have oil pressure light atall ,even before the engine is fired. I guess these are all related some how as i guess they are all grounds (negatives).

The engine is a 1.9td

So far i have:

Disconnected the split charge system from the battery to eliminate it.
Checked battery terminals
Battery is in tip top condition
Checked all fuses
Checked the wiring FROM the alternator (blue wire)..ended up replacing the whole length as it was chewed up.

Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
No its a brand new alternator. Ive sorted that problem out. The blue wire was originally wired to the wrong side on the plug..swapped them round and now sorted that problem.

Found that the led bulb for oil pressure had broken so ive replaced it and now i have that light.

Question though....should that oil light flash before you start the engine and then go out once its started???

However i have the beeps when over 2000rpm so need to do the fault finding on that one.

Hand brake was also a bulb out...literally !!! replaced that but stays on when the hand brake is released...dims slightly but definately on.
Odd one which i dont think is right is the oil low pressure switch on the side of the engine is connected to the brake reservoir sensor??

I also found a stray wire down near the starter motor area. Its blue with black stripe, any ideas. Checked the haynes book of lies and cant find a blue with black stripe listed??

#5 ·
I also found a stray wire down near the starter motor area. Its blue with black stripe, any ideas. Checked the haynes book of lies and cant find a blue with black stripe listed??

forget haynes, use http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html

it's in hamerican so slightly diferent to UK spec but gives a good idea on wire colour & location at both ends (some are bunched togther though so beware!)

G2/10 High Oil Pressure Switch Oil Pressure Warning Unit Yellow
G2/11 Low Oil Pressure Switch Oil Pressure Warning Unit Blue/Black

possibly?

or there is also

F/06 Back-Up Light Switch, Auto. Trans. PNP Switch Main Fusebox Start/Run Power, Fuse 14 Black/Red
F/07 Back-Up Light Switch, Auto. Trans. PNP Switch Back-Up Lights Black/Blue

the 'backup' or reversing light switch is located behind the startermotor (in your photo) on the gearchange turret, 2 pin plug.

Rich.

#4 ·
Just thought i would do an update for you . Sorted the electrics out on this.

Flashing oil light was telling me it wasnt getting a closed circuit from the low pressure switch....turns out someone had put in an oil temp sender not pressure switch...then to ad insult they wired it to the brake warning circuit. The high pressure switch wasnt working atall...

2 new switches and wired in correctly, the blue/black wire was the low oil pressure wire..

God knows who screwed this van up

for info on the parts i needed on the oil swiches on this 1.9 td oart numbers were

low pressure switch (on side of block at the top) FAE 11690 0.25 Bar
high pressure switch (top of oil filter housing ) FAE 12900 1.4 Bar

Flashing oil light with no buzzer is low pressure switch problem
Flashing light & buzzer is high pressure switch

High pressure switch only get 'sensed' when the engine is over 2000rpm

hope this helps someone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.