Old 28-04-14, 06:26
Beardy Bus Driver
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Aesthetic question

Some caravelles a had the option of factory lowering. This was done by fitting Eibachs springs and winding down the front torsion arms.

Result on finding load rated alloys. Probably came off a Merc Vito or similar.
I like the idea of a thunder cat or transformers decals. There are a few on here that could make you up some vinyl stickers.

this is my bus on Eibachs and with 195 70 15 tyres. should give you an idea of the drop.

You don't have to grow up. You just need a bigger bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-14, 09:03
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggedonions View Post
this is my bus on Eibachs and with 195 70 15 tyres. should give you an idea of the drop.
Very nice Is that factory lowered or aftermarket? Did you change the rubber plates? How does it corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd View Post
Similar to ours to be honest. Rocking the Syncro look
If I was doing a fair bit off road I might not mind so much. It's just the lean on the corners which bothers me.
And that only started to bother me after I drove my Brother in law's T4 (LWB 102 TDI) which corners so much better than mine. I need to find out what's on his really.
However, mine's still better in almost every other way though...

It'll probably be a while before I have the funds, having just shelled out around 800 on more important bits.
Old 28-04-14, 09:10
Van Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Aesthetic question

Your rear discs look a bit rusty in the pic, are the calipers working? They'd normally be shiney from use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-14, 10:16
Beardy Bus Driver
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewood View Post
Very nice Is that factory lowered or aftermarket? Did you change the rubber plates? How does it corner?

If I was doing a fair bit off road I might not mind so much. It's just the lean on the corners which bothers me.
And that only started to bother me after I drove my Brother in law's T4 (LWB 102 TDI) which corners so much better than mine. I need to find out what's on his really.
However, mine's still better in almost every other way though...

It'll probably be a while before I have the funds, having just shelled out around 800 on more important bits.
It was factory lowered. But when I bought it, the van was on red (CMC, I think) springs. And if it weren't for the airbags they were pretty much coil bound. So I fitted some VW springs with blue markings which sorted the ride quality but were too high. Now it's on Eibachs with 5mm plates top and bottom, and I'm pretty happy with it. There's enough space at the back that the rake goes when theres four bikes on the back.

Cornering is okay. But it's a van. It would be better with an Anti-roll bar, but that's not going to happen this year.

You don't have to grow up. You just need a bigger bike.
Old 28-04-14, 12:30
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Your rear discs look a bit rusty in the pic, are the calipers working? They'd normally be shiney from use
I thought exactly the same when I posted that pic. I had just jetwashed the van a few hours before so I guess it was just a bit of surface rust. Checked this morning after the school run and all's nice and shiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggedonions View Post
...Cornering is okay. But it's a van...
You're right, these are vans. they'll never corner like an Ariel Atom but i think the excessive leaning may have caused my last set of tyres to wear on the outside a little prematurely. Maybe not, I don't fully understand the geometry of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewood View Post
...It'll probably be a while before I have the funds...
Scratch that. The eibachs may have to wait but immediately after my last post I grabbed THESE on ebay.
OK so they look shocking but they can't be worse than what I have. They look progressively wound and with some new plates they might work out OK.
Besides I'm feeling lucky with ebay bargains after my wheels.
So what's the best way to refurb a pair of springs?
Hmmm, this thread seems to need migrating to the suspension section.

Tags
aesthetics, center caps, wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in