VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

M5 somerset

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  roboft4 
#1 ·
has anyone trvelled M5 SOUTH BETWEEN TIVERTON AND COLLUMPTON in the last year the state of the left(slow lane) broken up.holes right across lane.the damage this is doing to tyres and ball joints.why cant highways agency relay the whole section.????.so if u see me in middle lane i am not lane hog.just keep out of left lane.have you noticed this??????

#4 ·
I work for the Highways Agency.....but I should add the condition of this part of the M5 is out of my control!! However I have to use this for getting to and from work and can tell you.... Many years ago this part of the M5 was concrete. Most of it was removed about 10-12 years ago. The section between J27/28 was just covered by tarmac for reasons too complex for this forum. Now the joints in the concrete are coming through the tarmac. I understand there are approx 150 cracks now. Cold weather makes the cracks spread due to moisture freezing. My understanding is that the HA has bid for funding from government as this work was not planned for. A special `concrete guillotine` is required and there are not too many in UK along with other equipment. When all this is in place it will take about 18 months and require a hefty contra-flow to remove approx 3 feet of material and relay both carriageways. Sorry its not better news.
PS this part of the M5 is in Devon!

#6 ·
thanks for the answer .i had forgot the previos concrete surface. i notice the northbound section going same way.perhaps i will offer to fill the cracks with polyfiller.anything that helps hey ho.if the highways agency stopped wasting money on the useless electronic signs they could repair the road.money better spent i think.has anyone noticed the signs on M! saying pedestrians in road 50mph i saw this twice last sat in yorkshire but i didnt see any one on road.is this just to slow traffic.

#9 ·
The `useless electronic` signs as you call them have a number of pre-programmed messages installed in the software. Pedestrians in road refers to reports of persons in live lane...it is displayed on both carriageways incase the peds, decide to run all six lanes, etc. The signs are cleared as soon as the police or Highways Agency Traffic Officers either locate the peds. or no trace them
Workforce in road refers construction workers putting out cones or signs. There are only so many pre-programmed messages, eg, location of closures or slow moving traffic, services out of fuel,etc, etc and the one you do not want to see -
On coming vehicle...:eek:
Signs are displayed for as long as necessary, although motorists may not always see the problem as we try to warn ahead, the signs are on when the problem is on going

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.