Old 17-08-19, 21:02
Van Guru

Default Help Getting Vehicle Info From VIN number?

Hi,
Is there anyone around who can help me get some information on a vehicle from the VIN number alone? I'm considering buying a track motorbike that i've seen, but the seller tells me that the never received the V5 doc from the owner before him because it had been lost. He bought the bike to run on the track only so wasn't bothered about the V5 document, and tells me he checked it wasn't stolen and it came back clean. The bike has been an insurance write off, but I have no way to check if it was allowed to be returned to the road or should have been destroyed. The bike is in mint condition albeit with the track fairings replacing the original firings and lights. If it was a Cat D (now Cat N I believe), and is not showing as stolen then i'm fairly happy to buy it and apply for the logbook myself.
VIN is as follows JS1CV111100100029 and the bike is a Suzuki GSXR 600.
There is nowhere online that i can check vehicle status from a Vin number as i believe only people in the trade can do this. Normal consumers like myself can only check via the reg number but i don't have this and neither does the current owner. I can't understand why the DVLA don' t allow you to check from the VIN as it's all the same info that's recorded on the V5 with the Reg?
Really hoping someone can help me out as on the face of it it seems like a really nice bike. Don't want to be bitten though

Cheers
Jodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-08-19, 06:29
More than a little van obsessed

Default Re: Help Getting Vehicle Info From VIN number?

I looked on here https://m.driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

It found nothing for that vin

There are a few similar sites if you do some digging.
Old 19-08-19, 11:22
Van Guru

Default Re: Help Getting Vehicle Info From VIN number?

I tried some of the VIN decoder sites online, but they don't give me any useful info. They just translate the VIN which tells you the make, country of origin, etc.
The ones i tried were a bit hit and miss because their databases are a bit patchy, but most returned the correct manufacturer and country of origin.
According to HPI only trade members can ask for a HPI report using a VIN number. I really need some help from someone inside the trade who has access to trade HPI searches.
Still hoping someone can help. Happy to send some beer tokens if anyone can look up the HPI based on my VIN.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in