Old 03-01-08, 13:05
Van Guru

Default Any ideas before I take it to the garage?

Hi,

I've had an intermittant problem with me van - the front wheels locking! First happened on my way home from work a couple of weeks ago. Roads were wet, but I was travelling at ~25mph and turned whilst slightly breaking, and the front end slid.

Happened again last week, coming up to roundabout, again very slowly, not wet this time and slid for a short, about 3m, distance.

I don't have abs, its a '95 1.9d. Ive checked pads and discs etc, all seem okay. Tyres are pretty new, loads of tread left. Not the best tyres, and I know this can make a huge difference, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be the problem? Does anyone have any ideas to check, or should I take it to the garage and get them to sort it??

I'm not really up for driving it with this problem, as could be very dangerous.

Thanks
Ollie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-08, 13:16
Vans aren't what count here...

Default Re: Any ideas before I take it to the garage?

That does sound dangerous! I would be inclined to suspect either a cv joint or the differential. Does it make any strange noises?
Old 03-01-08, 16:14
Van Guru

No other strange noises than normal! Lol!
I havn't noticed anything different apart from a minor water leak, but I don't see that being the problem...

Any easy inspections I can make on the CV joint or differential you could recommend?

Ollie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-08, 21:54
Van Guru

i would say its cheap tyres , has the problem been since tyre fitment , bearing in mind it has been dry lately , or perhaps you have a brake hose fault so fluid cant return quickly enough , jack up car nsf and get someone to put foot on brake then release and see if wheel locks and frees off instantly , then check other side , or put new tyres to the rear
Old 03-01-08, 23:48
Van Guru

Well, I hadn't had the problem before the new tyres, but that was a couple of months ago, and I've been fine every other time in the rain/wet. I'll pop it up at the weekend and see what happens.
Cheers
Old 04-01-08, 10:29
Van Jedi

As the problem seems related to braking while the steering is turned, I'd have a look at the brake flexi hoses. Damage to the hose could cause the fluid pressure to remain in the hose after the pedal is released, causing the brakes to stay on.

Jack up each side in turn so you can turn the wheel with the steering on lock and with an attractive assistant see if the brakes hang on after releasing the pedal. Also visually check the hoses for chaffing (ooh,er missus), bulges or other damage and also check the pads - very worn pads mean the caliper pistons will be full out and may not retract smoothly when the pedal is released.
Old 05-01-08, 10:22
Lord of the T4s

Sounds like you have a caliper sticking, or a brake line clogged. Best way to find out is to park the van and jack up both front wheels. Find out which one is sticking by spinning the wheel until it sticks. Once you find out which one is sticking, take off the wheel and release the pressure on the caliper by loosening the bleeder on the back of the caliper. If the caliper releases, it is not the caliper. If it isn't the caliper, it could be a collapsed line. The only thing is, if you release the brake line, you will need to bleed the brakes. If you don't know how to do this, take it to a shop. Good luck.

Last edited by golfgtioz; 06-01-08 at 16:15. Reason: correction
Old 23-01-08, 11:22
Lord of the T4s
Help For HeroesI Support Children In Need

I had a similar problem years ago on another car. It was as scary as hell! Mine turned out to be the device that determines the ratio of pressure applied to front v rear brakes (I'm sure someone will have a much simpler description!). It was faulty and putting too much on the fronts. I know there have been threads mentioning this device and the possibility of it being affected by lowering T4s. I just couldn't find it! Hope you get it sorted - let us know the outcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in