Old 27-03-19, 14:55
Van Man
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Brake master cylinder identification, can anyone help please?

Hi all,
I’m having a real problem identifying the correct replacement brake master cylinder for my van. The old one is off the van, but there are no part numbers to help. Just VW/Audi stamp, date of manufacture, serial number and 2 conflicting numbers cast in: On the flange where it mounts to the servo it has”DE25” (could this mean 25mm bore, or did it take 25 Germans to design it? and; on the little bulb hanging underneath (not all masters have this bulb) it has “2.3”- does this mean 2.3cm bore???
VW Commercial dealership could not decide between 25.4mm bore (OEM part number:7D0-611-019/A) and 23MM bore (OEM part number: 7M1-611-019.)
Eventually after much pleading and prying I was able to get a suggestion from TPS that they thought it should be the larger bore 7D0 version. Now what adds to the confusion is that this 7D0 master cylinder is normally tied to the 1LU brake code, which apparently does match my van (according to TPS), but although I am fairly sure I have ITT brakes on the front, I defiantly have Lucas brakes on the back!!!! (i'm not sure if the rear brakes where changed at some point in the first 3 years of life before i bought the van, but i doubt it. And this rear brake configuration always throws up a problem when trying to find parts as it does not seem to fit in with any data-bases except TPS (who will no longer serve me, as I am not a “trade”).
Anyone out there able to offer any guidance please? Other than sawing the old master cylinder in half to measure the bore (circlip is not removable, non-serviceable part), is there any other way to identify it?
Many thanks,

2001 TDI, 102bhp, 1200kg load SWB panel van, 15" wheels, no ABS.

Sorry no chassis number available now as the van is stranded at my mothers' place several miles away. If needed I can PM my VIN and Reg to anyone who thinks they can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-03-19, 19:25
Van Guru

Default Re: Brake master cylinder identification, can anyone help please?

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...3723078/lang/e

Have a look on here check against the PR numbers for your van.
Old 10-04-19, 11:32
Valve Lifter

As my hydraulics are now 20 years old I was planning on overhauling them this summer, preferably by rebuilding them myself rather than just replacing them, in order to keep costs down.

I've tried that OEMEPC site but it does not recognise my VIN number (which I've triple checked is correct! (NB The 'O's are always zeros and the 'I's are always ones on any VIN). I also emailed them but no response...........

Did it work for you?

So how to identify my master cylinder (and calipers)?

Are all the master cylinders non-servicable as described, or just certain types?

What about the clutch slave cylinder too?

Cheers

Jim24
1998 T4
2.4D AJA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-19, 18:23
Van Guru

Jim I have found the OEMEPC website works very well. Don't try with your vin it has not worked for me, my van is a '92 and it has been spot on with part numbers so just select your van year. First off find the option codes that apply to your van these are usually 3 letter codes, there is a list in the service book. If you haven't got that there is a list adjacent to the fusebox in the right footwell .You can google these to find what they are .When looking at the parts list you may see >> then the vin no. this means up to this vin, they don't put the full vin the 10th letter on your vin denotes the year so look for that letter and check if that is applicable. Also you may see >> after the vin this means from this vin. You may also see the option code listed or also the engine type in my case it is 1X. There is a lot of information there to find the correct part numbers and I have found it accurate.
Old 27-04-19, 19:06
Valve Lifter

'Thanks T4Bruce - that's really useful to know.

I've got my PR codes and then using this site:

http://vag-codes.info/

have found what most but not all of them relate too - but no VW Part Numbers, and no means of identifying my master cylinder or rear brakes for example.

I'm concerned that I may be ambushing Dodger's Thread so have started a new one titled 'PR Code Deciphering' in the 'General Technical' section.

Jim24
T4 1998 2.4D
Old 27-04-19, 21:18
Full of Cr*p....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim24 View Post

I'm concerned that I may be ambushing Dodger's Thread so have started a new one titled 'PR Code Deciphering' in the 'General Technical' section.

Jim24
T4 1998 2.4D
THAT is exactly the WRONG thing to do!!!!

IF it's about a similar problem, starting a NEW thread just makes it twice as difficult to search on.

Just keep the same one going....adding ideas, or extra problems......the same thread shows up in a search.
Starting a new thread.....OK...you get "your name" at the top...but it's still the same subject!!!
Old 28-04-19, 11:21
Valve Lifter

It's a subjective judgement, but I disagree - they have very different specific aims and headings, and will therefore be found using different search terms - and I've provided a link because of the overlap.

As a newbie I regularly search for information on this forum and fail if the headings do not tie in with the thread contents. I'm sure that PR codes will have been dealt with loads of times, as will identifying master cylinders, but I cannot find them.

And you clearly don't know me if you think that it's all about having my 'name on the top'

Jim24
T4 1998 2.4D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in