Old 21-10-11, 14:15  
Guide to replacing front section of Handbrake Cable
chriswoody chriswoody is offline 21-10-11, 14:15

Right I've had a good search through the forum and couldn't find a guide to replacing the front section of the Handbrake cable so I thought I'd create one. I'm not sure if all the vans are the same but mine is a 2001 1.9td.

After getting a quote of 65 pounds plus VAT from my local garage I decided it couldn't really be that hard and decided to have a crack at it myself. The only part that bothered me was where it vanished over the top of the fuel tank. Turns out there's nothing to worry about.

Tools:
15mm Socket (If removing Drivers Seat)
13mm Socket
8mm Spanner
10mm Spanner
Pliers.

Here's the damaged section of Cable:

The new cable from VW. Despite appearances it is long enough! This cost me 16 pounds plus Vat.

by ,

Start by slackening off the bolt at the end of the cable. Then unhook the spring from the retainer. As a point of note I should have bought a replacement nut and cable end piece as well as these were in shocking condition. Being as the van is my only transport and the dealer is 10 miles away the old ones are back on for now, but they will be replaced.

[/url] ,

Once you've done this you can then unbolt the handbrake lever in the cab. Remove the two wires going into the switch and then unhook the end of the cable from the hook on the handbrake lever.

Once you've done this you can then remove the gromits from the centre sections of the cable run. In the picture the fuel tank is on the top of the shot and the grime has been partially cleaned with a wire brush.

by ,

Once these are removed the old cable can be removed from under the van. This shot looks up through the top of the fuel tank to the hole in the cab floor.

Fitting the new one is just a simple matter of pushing the end up through this hole. Then the gromits are pushed back into their brackets. Mine needed some gentle persuasion with the end of the screwdriver! Once the gromits are in place I then went back into the cab and attached the end of the cable onto the handbrake lever. Remember to attach a small cable tie onto the hook. I've not shown this but I've indicated where it should go. (Mmm sorry there should be an arrow pointing to the corner of the hook, but hopefully you can make out where it should go.)

Once you've attached the cable in classic Haynes style, refitting is the reverse of removal!

Then once the handbrake is reattached I then went to the other end of the cable and replaced the nut and spring etc. Apologies I forgot to take a shot of this, but it's simply a reversal of the disassembly procedure.

Then you can adjust the new handbrake cable using the adjusting nut.

Here's a couple of shots of the old and new cables side by side:

Hopefully thats been helpfull to folk.
chriswoody
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent
Views: 23718
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Re: Guide to replacing front section of Handbrake Cable
01-10-13, 19:44 #21
lal
Van Pro

THANKS FOR THE GUIDE TO REPLACING FRONT SECTION HANDBRAKE CABLE.JUST ORDERED NEW CABLE VW PART NO701711476A AND SPRING PART NO701711247 16.45+vat for both THESE ARE FOR T4 O2 REG 2.5TDI MANY THANKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

01-10-13, 20:46 #22
zac swet
Van Man

Got no excuses now.....new cable on the list of jobs to do:-)

08-03-14, 19:22 #23
Puddles McSqeakybeak
Lord of the T4s

Nice work, i just used this to change mine. Took less than an hour, including cutting old cable off. Thanks for sharing.

26-07-14, 15:50 #24
jgoo
Van Jedi
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

How do, anyone got a pic of what the spring retainer is supposed to clip into???? I got a replacement but there wasn't one fitted on my LWB, any ideas????

04-09-14, 08:43 #25
mgleadow
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoo View Post
How do, anyone got a pic of what the spring retainer is supposed to clip into???? I got a replacement but there wasn't one fitted on my LWB, any ideas????
Old thread so you may have solved this, but posting for anyone else reading and wondering.

One of these: http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.ph...rake-1868.html - just goes in to a hole on the van floor rib, it'll be obvious when you look at the spring. I got a new spring and plastic spring bracket from them recently as I had to change one of my rear cables, it was sticking and holding the caliper on the disk which made for an exciting drive home - and this was the day on which I picked the van up!

27-10-14, 14:10 #26
no66
Van Man

Thanks for the guide. Change mine on Saturday. The old one was pretty frayed...

On a Caravelle, you don't need to un-bolt the lever. Plenty of space the attach the cable and put on a tie.
Anyway the carpet is in the way and can't be removed without taking out the seats etc.

21-05-16, 22:52 #27
jensjakob
Van Jedi

Additions:

1. You can change the cable without removing the lever in the cabin. Just release the cable, remove the shell, raise the handle to high and you can access the hook.

2. The nylock was gone - so I just used to nuts - and tightened them against each other (contra tightening)

3. If the white bushing is hard to press home - just get it in as good as possible, tighten the nut, get inside the cabin and pull the lever, and the cable will press the white bushing home.

19-10-17, 13:15 #28
0writer
Van Pro

Thanks for posting the guide, it made light work for me today and took me approx 20 mins to change out my cable

25-09-19, 21:25 #29
dubnbus
Van Man

Have just done the front section of my handbrake - your article was a big help thanks.
Found it easier to get the rubber boot in place in the cab by pushing it up through into the cab with a long screwdriver and then pushing it down into place to seal.

Tags
guide, handbrake cable, replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in