Old 03-07-14, 01:21
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent

T4 Post Icon How to free a seized handbrake arm on a rear caliper (with pics)

OK - pretty straight forward to carry out, but I always feel better if I can look at some pics and a run through before I start. In that vein, I thought I would return the favour for all the times I've seen and used similar threads myself. Please forgive the slightly incomplete picture run but some didn't come out. Also PLEASE remember to be careful not to contaminate your pads/discs when using release oil around your brake assembly...

1. Unhook the lever spring using long nose pliers and use a good dose of wd40 and a wire brush to clean up the area around the central nut.

2. Remove the nut (mine was a 13mm) and clean around the face of the splines at the bottom of the shaft with wire brush and more wd40.

3. Use a pair of pump pliers to hold the face of the plate and wiggle it off of the splines. DO NOT LEVER THE PLATE OFF. There is a rubber cup sitting behind the plate and you can't see it (I've shown the off-side caliper here, the rest of the pics show the nearside caliper). I missed this at first and split the rubber dust cup trying to lever it off.

As you can see in the next pic, the inside face of the plate is severely corroded and the corrosion has scored and cut the inside of the dust cup. You can also see the split in the rubber cup where I tried to lever the plate off.

Time for some more wd40 and wire brush treatment.

When you clean the base plate, you're going to need to use something to protect the rubber dust cup and also hold it out of the way of the wire brush. I used an old chisel which allowed me to get back to the metal all the way round.

OK - the next pic shows the inside of the plate where I have cleaned the corrosion away. I gave this a smear of copper grease before I put it back on. I also packed copper grease inside the rubber dust cup.

The plate taps easily back onto the splines in the fully disengaged position, right up against the stop edge that limits the lever's travel.

All that is left to do now is replace the nut and pop the spring back in. Job done. I don't have a picture of it completely re-assembled as that was one of the pics that didn't come out.

I hope this helps someone. I was right on the verge of buying a new caliper until I tried this. Worked like a dream and may well give me another couple of years out of an otherwise knackered bit of kit.

We love it when that happens...

Spongo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-14, 01:27
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: How to free a seized handbrake arm on a rear caliper (with pics)

Forgot to mention. I replaced the caliper springs as well. The VAG replacements were 3.80 for the pair and were much stronger than the worn pair that I took off.

Old 13-08-14, 22:45
Van Rookie

Cheers bud, having same problem with mine. i'll give this a go in the morning. I to am on the verge of a new caliper, but i'll try this 1st .
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-10-14, 15:36
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Re: How to free a seized handbrake arm on a rear caliper (with pics)

Top post!! Thanks very much, was pricing up callipers when I came across this. I didn't think it would help my super seized handbrake, gave it a go as I thought it was only a waste of 10min if it didn't. and guess what!! it did just the trick
Keep up the great posts guys!! Cheers
Old 07-07-15, 17:46
Van Pro

Hi Fellars,

I am trying this on mine at the moment. struggling to get the arm off though. Got grips, pump pliers all sorts but struggling to get it off.

How did you lot do it?

Kind regards

Gaz
Old 07-07-15, 20:54
Van Jedi

Did this the other day on mine. I disconnected the handbrake cable and wedged in a big slogged screwdriver where the ball joint end sits and levered it back and forth. The little clip came loose bloody quickly with the help of some wd40/release oil.
Old 08-07-15, 08:06
Van Pro

All sorted... big thanks
Old 21-07-19, 19:03
Van Pro

I'm thinking to replace that M8 central nut for a cap nut (acorn nut), I believe with this nut it will be more protected.
Did anyone try it?
The only difference is the lack of built-in washer on the acorn nut.
Old 21-07-19, 19:53
Van Master Jedi

I done this work yesterday but I reused the original 13 mm nut. I cleaned up the arm with a wire brush and grinding wheel. Finally, I replaced the old spring with a new item. So far, so good.
Old 21-07-19, 22:27
Lord of the T4s

It will work for a while but unless you completely strip the caliper and fit a new spindle the problem will return,also copper grease is no good for this application as it dries out ant actually retains water,at least use some marine water proof grease

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in