Old 30-11-08, 23:06

Default Re: 1.9 PP thread

Note to those wanting to put a turbo on a NA engine.
Yes, it will work.
Compression ratio won't really matter that much, what will is that the pistons between the 1X and the ABL are different.
The ABL ones are treated with some special "stuff" that makes them more resilient to the extra heat/pressure.
As far as I know the 1X also have the oil cooling jets that spray oil onto the back of the bores to keep them cool.
I checked recently for something else and as far as I can remember they are dimensionally the same but it's what they are treated with after manufacture that makes them have different part numbers.
I'm fairly sure the 1X pistons are the same as the AAB ones from the 2.4D 5 pot motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-08, 11:46
Serial Poster

there aint much point ruuning it from a water bottle like screen wash as basicly only real time it is benifcial is in summer but the water is going to be warm .

there is charge coolers and dry ice which you cant run dry ice .

proper thing is the way forward i persnoly dont like them but go for it and lets see the results.

as for lowering the inlet temps you can lag the pipes but all these are bit wasted i persnoaly think on a van that is never going to be fast .
Old 01-12-08, 11:50
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Baxter View Post
Note to those wanting to put a turbo on a NA engine.
Yes, it will work.
Compression ratio won't really matter that much, what will is that the pistons between the 1X and the ABL are different.
The ABL ones are treated with some special "stuff" that makes them more resilient to the extra heat/pressure.
As far as I know the 1X also have the oil cooling jets that spray oil onto the back of the bores to keep them cool.
I checked recently for something else and as far as I can remember they are dimensionally the same but it's what they are treated with after manufacture that makes them have different part numbers.
I'm fairly sure the 1X pistons are the same as the AAB ones from the 2.4D 5 pot motor.

1.9 and 1.9td x1 engines both have oil squirters in the bottom of the block either way they are not that inportant neither is compreshion ration for the sort of boost a t4 runs if im honest .

the pistons are ceramic coated but x1 pistons are forged from the factory so am told and looking at them it looks like it is true .

slightly higher compreshion of a non turbo will make you bit more extra power than standard due to very small diffrence in compreshion ratio , suppose this could be altered by head but realy is no bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-08, 17:23
Serial Poster
I Support Children In Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Baxter View Post
They don't have to be expensive.
http://shop.airworlduk.com/exhaust-g...auges-29-c.asp
Ring the guy, he's a nice chap by all accounts and is quite used to VW pervs ringing up for pyrometers!

What should you be running? about 1000F top side, short bursts above okay, but not for long!
nice one Simon
Old 03-12-08, 21:49
Van Guru

Right due to my van not starting this past few cold frosty mornings, i decided to change the glowplugs . Anyway once they were done and i had the radiator pulled foward I remembered this thread and decided to PP mine . First off I got the anti tamper thing off the pump and turned it in and out until i was happy with the idle . Its higher but i can live with it . I had already blanked the EGR so i took off the wee clip on the actuator arm and wound it in shorter. Then went for a spin . WOW holy what a difference . It spun when i pulled second , how chuffed i am . Normally from my drive to my uncles gates i can get 65ish tried it today after the pp upgrade and 75 no probs .
Going to do the decat now in the next couple of days . Will decat make a noticable differance now?
Cant believe how much better this makes it to drive . seriously anybody if your not sure whether its worth doing believe me it IS.
Old 03-12-08, 22:26

Did you read what I posted?
Yep, great gains in the short term but you really need to do some other work before you kill it.
Old 03-12-08, 22:55
Van Guru

I have just re read the whole thread but what other work do you recomend? Has most of the guys on here not just done the same as me , pump , actuator arm and EGR blank? In the next couple of days im going to bin the cat but i wasnt goingto go to the hassle of an intercooler . Do I need to?
Old 04-12-08, 07:51
Van Master Jedi

yeh do the cooler! and get a boost gauge!!!
I boost to 18 psi but have done all mods and got big cooler and different turbo
Old 04-12-08, 09:47
Van Guru

i have a boost guage and it only boosting to about 0.75 bar but i notice a good difference over standard.
Old 04-12-08, 12:06
Van Master Jedi

with the pp mods you should be looking at safe boost of 12-13 psi maybe even 14-15 which is 1 bar so your boosting safe at mo, put an intercooler on and de-cat another huge difference

Tags
1.9td tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in