Old 22-01-11, 21:08
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Andy's 1.9 TDI Conversion AHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES View Post
It drives off the intermidiate shaft and the same shaft also drives the oil pump. Its quite a long rod
is this something i couldve d up? dont think i touched it.

i only changed oil pickup inside and sump, and removed lid and seal from vacuum pump, cleaned and replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-01-11, 21:12
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
is this something i couldve d up? dont think i touched it.

i only changed oil pickup inside and sump, and removed lid and seal from vacuum pump, cleaned and replaced.
Doubtful bud especially if it was ok in the donor car. Any play or weeping from the oil pump pulley??
Old 22-01-11, 21:45
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES View Post
Doubtful bud especially if it was ok in the donor car. Any play or weeping from the oil pump pulley??
oil pump pulley? youve lost me. im up to my tdiballs and confusing me isnt difficult

all i did with the pickup was unbolt it and bolted it into the ahu engine, it worked in the abl so didnt check anything

if you mean the lower pulley that drives the power steering pump and aux belt i used the abl one and all seems dry down that end of the engine

Last edited by andyd; 22-01-11 at 23:33.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-01-11, 10:20
Lord of the T4s

ive been thinking, is there anyway ive fitted the pickup incorrectly? dont want to take sump off really unless i have really stuffed up, dug through my phone and found a pick after id swapped the pickup, i undid the two really long 13mm bolts and swapped the entire unit rather than just the end of the pickup,

without a in at all would the vacuum pump still spin? just want to be sure, cant find a schematic showing what drives what inside the engine

i've compared it to the picture in aggies thread and the orientation looks correct, i cant remember what the mating end looked like, if my memory is correct it was a slot on the end of the shaft and i had to rotate a tad to get it to mate before it would fit flush against the underside of the block.

dont think im going to get near the van today as ive already pushed my luck to breaking point with pass outs to work on this van!! going to have to spend sunday away from investigating to keep the boss happy!

according to the green transporter manual (not the best but better than nothing) it says, "the drive for the oil pump is taken from the exhauster pump (vacuum pump) which is fitted for the operation of the brake servo unit."

hmmmmm

Last edited by andyd; 23-01-11 at 10:44.
Old 23-01-11, 13:50
Van Master Jedi

The vac pump has a gear and is driven direct from the intermediate shaft, the oil pump has a male shaft with flats on it and is driven from the bottom of the vac pump.
Old 23-01-11, 14:17
Lord of the T4s

so theres no way it could be fitted incorrectly causing the pump not to function?

can i start engine with lid of vac pump off to see if its rotating?

or shall i just fit van one?
Old 23-01-11, 17:06
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Old 23-01-11, 20:27
Lord of the T4s

right managed to squeeze an hour or so in this evening, dragged the abl garden ornament into the garage and got it up on the stand and had a gander inside, i can see how it works now cheers mace for the image though, ive put my mind at rest that all is ok in there.

also had a look inside the abl vac pump

so I'm happy that my pump is spinning, so set about removing the lid to check i had definitely replaced the seal , which upon removal all looked fine.

What i did however notice is that i had connected the small pipe that comes down from beside the heater matrix water hoses (by bleed valve) to the smaller side of the one way valve and blanked the larger side.

So rang my mate with a abl and got him to check, turns out that this pipe (whatever it is) should go to the larger side of the valve! The smaller side was blanked on both ours as this side used to feed to the egr which we both removed.

Question is would this incorrect connection cause a lock in the valve? Seems believable.

heres how it shouldve been blanked (ready to go back on)

Didnt try it as need to leave it stripped down to change the cooler bracket gasket that i should hopefully be getting tomorrow. Maybe be able to add to my 400m of TDI experiences tomorrow and be added to the club tdi !!

Question, Can i get away with changing this gasket without removing oil filter and oil cooler from the bracket? Its only oilways on the block so should be ok if i can get a flexi joint on the top bracket bolt?? anyone done it?

Last edited by andyd; 23-01-11 at 20:29.
Old 24-01-11, 16:08
Lord of the T4s

anyone????
Old 24-01-11, 17:51
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Question, Can i get away with changing this gasket without removing oil filter and oil cooler from the bracket? Its only oilways on the block so should be ok if i can get a flexi joint on the top bracket bolt?? anyone done it?
You can change the gasket with everything still attached, just pull the filter/cooler housing back a bit and make sure both surfaces are clean and free from debris and slip the new gasket in place.

What do you mean by a flexi joint on the top bracket dude ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in