VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

2.4D AAB Turbo Project

1M views 4K replies 227 participants last post by  julien4788 
#1 · (Edited)
2.4D AAB Turbo/PP3 Project

Been doing some research on here and other sites and decided to go down the Turbo route for my 2.4D AJA Engine :D

The T4 2.4D Transporter is now getting Turbo'd need abit more power and after driving the VRS for a week i need more power for towing with the T4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bs...&lch=email&feature=em-comment_received&lcor=1

Any advice would be greatley appreciated especially part numbers for the Oil feed pipework.

The engine has 94k on the clock and is a good solid unit.

Been on the T4 Forum for a while and here's the link for a conversion one of the T4 Lads built.

http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/westfalia_california/Turbo_on_a_T4_2400D_aspirated_UK.htm

i have a Volvo V70 Exhaust manifold ready to go on

and a KKK K14 Turbo

just need a T4 ACV Inlet manifold now and downpipe and the major components are all there then.

after that its just the boost pipes and oil pipes.

Here's all the part No's

Manifold intake: 074 123 713

Exhaust manifold: 074 253 033K (Standard 2.5tdi - 074 253 033G)

Turbocharger: 074 145 701B (Stanard 2.5tdi - 074 145 701A)

Gaskets of the Manifold intake: 074 129 717

Gaskets of the Exhaust manifold: 028 129 589 B (are 5 pieces)

& also the gasket: 028 129 748

inlet intake manifold gasket 074 129 717
exhaust manifold gasket 5 piece 028 129 589 B
dipstick for oil dipstick gasket 046 145 757 A
KKK14 Turbocharger oring 030 121 119
Turbocharger oil line gasket 035 145 757 C
Friction Ring and Spring (For Manifold Downpipe to Manifold) 161-298-115
İnlet manifold EGR square gasket 028 129 748

Here's all the other items required too from other forum cheers !

The finished project will look like this finished project but with a intercooler mounted in the front panel.

See less See more
1 7
#2 · (Edited)
Re: 2.4D AAB Turbo Project Nearly ready to fit

My KKK K14 Turbo has arrived for the T4 its off a Volvo V70 but has VW Part number 074 145 701B
(Standard T4 is 074 145 701A).

The Turbo is in excellent condition and no signs of wear and tear on the Turbine.

Just waiting to the Manifold whihc should be here tomorrow and need to find an inlet manifold.

Turbo Manifold has arrived its off Volvo V70 But as you can see its a VW Part - 074 253 033K (Same part no as 2.5TDI Item apart from B ref )

On the V70 Volvo the Turbo is mounted this way with exhaust point to the rear of the car with the engine mounted longitudinally.(T4 Transverse) i can mount it this way but will have to design a different pipework set up.

But if i fit it as standard T4 it requires rotating 180deg so a spacer will be needed to space the Turbo off the Manifold 10mm.

#168 ·
Re: 2.4D AAB Turbo Project Nearly ready to fit

brookster, i am a little confused about this bit for the boost controller, simply becuase, i have no purchased this turbo instead of using my merc one...

you say it will connect to the nipple of the accuater, but then where would it go to, as most bleed valves / boost controllers have a 2 way controll....

so a pipe from the accuater nipple to one end of the boost controller, then the pipe on the other end of the controller where would this go?

cheers for you help!

#7 · (Edited)
Well now i have the inlet manifold i've being shopping for the ancilliaries.

Oil Feed for Turbo - from a Passat (£10)

60mm - 51mm Elbow (£10) for the Manifold, i will use the existing 60mm flange off the 2.4D Inlet and then the elbow reducer for the boost pipes.

51mm Elbows for the Turbo boost pipes Black ordered (£5 ea)

60mm & 51mm pipe clips (£.150 ea)

51mm x 600mm alloy boost pipe (£15)

No intercooler yet , i will run without once it's running until i need to up the boost. :)

i need the dipstick oil adaptor and the oil return pipe.

also i'll call at GSF and get the gasket set tomorrow.

#497 ·
60mm - 51mm Elbow (£10) for the Manifold, i will use the existing 60mm flange off the 2.4D Inlet and then the elbow reducer for the boost pipes.
or

Manifold inlet is 65mm so i fitted a 90 deg 51mm to 65mm reducer

Just checking on sizes for silcone pipe, is the reducer pipe needed as Brooksters initial post above?
Is this the right size as I'm struggling like mad to find a 65mm to 51mm!

#8 ·
ACV 2.5TDI Inlet Manifold arrived from Germany in two days, excellent delivery that .

As you can see the effects of the EGR Valve on the inlets with get covered in 10mm of Oily Soot.

New Inlet manifold gaskets & Exhaust also EGR Blanks Plates for the exhaust manifold

EGR Blank plate fitted

#16 ·
Cheers :ILU:

Here my last Engine build :D

MK1 Golf GTI 2.1L 16v on Throttle Bodies ETC.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186028

loving those deep dished rims mate like to get summat ish like those for my t4,,,also interested in your turbo conversion,,although i love my 1.9TD that iam tuning the old fashion way burr burr port port ;):cool:
i do love the sound of the 5 cylinder motor i"ll keep watching your thread & good luck mate

#12 · (Edited)
The dirtiest job in the world now, cleaning the intake manifold it must have been off a 200k motor it was full of Oily Soot. :(

This is why you need an EGR Blank plate fitting, I'll be fitting one on the Octavia VRS Next week.

After the clean with petrol, saopy water and jet wash.

The intake will be connected using the 61mm to 50mm silicone reducer and 50mm Alloy 90 bend.

Also the Turbo Oil Feed has arrived, may have to modify it slightly.

#22 ·
loks like you got some good bits there mate should be good when ya done with it.

how long before its up and running you think, i know its trial and error and devlopment.

cheers jaz

#23 ·
only need the down pipe , manifold gasket and oil return pipe and then it will be a couple of weeks.

The T4 is my daily driver at the moment but the wife get her new car in a week so i will have my Octavia VRS Back and will be able to get the T4 on the ramps and get it all fitted. :D

Got a downpipe delivered today but it's the wrong set up, its been made to fit the standard T4 Set up. with the exhaust turbine on the O/S :(

#24 ·
Can't you just cut the flange off the correct downpipe for that turbo, get a pipe bent to shape and weld the flange on. Can have a decent size downpipe then aswell.
Or just cut the correct downpipe where needed, rotate it to suit and weld it back up.

#29 ·
we dont name and shame on the forum bud..... Will is a stand up guy!!! If hes not answering his emails then there will be a good reason why......

when you get your downpipe fabbed make sure it has a flexiable section otherwise is will shake your turbo to bits......

£120 for a custom downpipe is well cheap:ILU:

#32 ·
Just been Alerted to this
Please give Will a chance to reply to his emails as I believe he is out Snowboarding in France at the Moment.
Dont really want to get involved in this but have always found Will a very helpful bloke who dabbles in the upgrading of T4 power and supplying aftermarket parts. Looking at the downpipe he supplied I would say he has either had that made thinking he's doing you a favour or it's one he's taken off of one of his vans.
Please!!! let's not get into Slating Good traders off on here T:

#33 ·
point taken as always, i just find that in this day and age if people don't answer e-mails its because they don't want to answer. :confused:

i always answer my e-mails even when on Holiday if i didn't i would oose my clients / customers T:

#35 · (Edited)
Update -

Got hold of a Volvo V70 Downpipe to use as a temple for a stainless downpipe.

Also does anyone have the part numbers for the Oil Feed & Return pipes detailed below, it will save me explaining them at VW when i order them T:.

or i may use some custom aftermarket pipes for the flow and Return as the Turbo is not a standard ACV Engine item.

most of them are standard 4AN Fitting which i have lost of from my Nitrous Systems.

#37 ·
Cheers for that T:

All the parts are coming together now.

The boost pipes will be linked with a straight 300mm 51mm section, but once i fit an intercooler the Turbo outlet 90 will go straight to the LT Intercooler that will be fitted.

just the Oil lines now and all will be complete ready for installation:D