VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

How to fit Modern VW steering wheel to 99 T4 with spline adapter

60K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  Or_GazM 
#1 ·
ok guys ive wanted a nice steering wheel for ages now so have read up all the threads i could find about what fits etc. Anyhow i firstly bought one of the nicer T4 steering wheels with the chrome badge that was a straight fit but i still wanted something different . I then bought a nice MOMO wheel and boss that had been fitted to a golf . But that didnt fit so after a bit of investigation i sussed out i needed the spline adapter from VW part No. 191 419 514. i then came across a lovely 3 spoke leather vw wheel from a passat in a breakers yard and really fancied it .

Here it is fitted , It is a lovely chunky wheel to hold and the leather feels nice . also it cancels the indicators with the little ring i got with it from the passat.

Now for the progress pics

First take off the steering wheel centre / hornpush to get at the big nut that hold the wheel on . now take off the nut and slide the wheel off

Next get the Spline adapter VW part no 191 419 514. to bring splines up from 17mm to 27mm

At first i thought the adapter didnt fit but i was just an extremely tight fit . I just greased up the inside then placed it on and screwed down the big nut to slide it on.

next take the plastic ring from the passat and trim of a few bits that are not needed but make sure to leave the indicator cancel tab .

The plastic ring has a couple of pins that locate it on the back of the wheel , so pop it in place and your ready to fit the wheel. Now you are left with a bit of a gap so i just used a rubber sleeve from an old boss to cover the gap .

you will also need a big washer as the nut is almost same size as the large splin hole and you dont want the wheel coming off in your hands :). Tighten it all up , pop in the centre and job done .

Looks nice through the window i think , nice and modern but still with a factory look .

im now left with 3 spare wheels ill be selling soon lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice wheel - but you cheated! - where's the airbag? I'd like to fit one on my 98 T4 2.5 TDi (which already has an airbag) and keep the airbag function. Has anyone done that? change wheels from large T4 with airbag to smaller Passat, etc. with airbag?

//NiSk

#15 · (Edited)
] I tried fitting steering wheel from a seat Leon exactly the same as the passat only I couldn't get the horn to work. The slip ring doesn't have the continuous copper ring like the original so no connection to horn. I have removed the original ring from my old wheel and I'm working on how to fix it to the back of the new one. If this works it will obviously cancel indicators too.

One good thing I did find out is that a lot of the VAG cars had the adaptor pressed onto the steering column. I got one from a scrap yard of a seat cordoba it fit straight onto my small 17mm spline so saved me having to buy the adaptor from vw.

Finally made a few mods and got wheel on with working horn and indications. I had to make up a homemade boss from an old plastic tube I had laying around. Firstly I cut down the tube to fill the gap between the new wheel and the steering column. I fixed the original slip ring to one end of the tube and screwed the other end to the new wheel.

Covered the whole thing in a bit of black leather vinyl to match wheel, then I just reconnected horn wire and job done.

Made up a new decal to cover seat logo on wheel. Everything perfect. Indicators cancel and horn works from wheel.T:

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab46/neilsvwbus/Steering Wheel Modification/

#24 ·
I'm about to fit the same steering wheel to my van - regarding the Passat ring - is this a Passat specific part or will other vag rings work?

I just want to make sure I'm shopping on eBay for the correct part.

Are there any specific years or models I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

#26 ·
Good Morning

I also would like to install my multi-function Steering Wheel coming from my 2003 TDI Jetta.

I have the spline that adjust the shaft from 17 to 27mm, I would like to know if this is a Direct fit

I read from some other forum that we need to cut that spline adapter, as it is a little too long for VW T4 (Eurovan)

I also would like to have the multi-function working on the cruise control, radio control if possible and as well
keeping my horn.

If someone can help with text procedure or picture procedure if any exist, that will be really appreciate.

I have the 4 spoke multi-control that come from a Jetta 2003 TDI and the adapter spline.

Thank you and forward to hear regarding that project.

Have a Great Day

Revo

#27 ·
Good Morning

I also would like to install my multi-function Steering Wheel coming from my 2003 TDI Jetta to my VW T4 2001 2.5 TDI

I have the spline that adjust the shaft from 17 to 27mm, I would like to know if this is a Direct fit

I read from some other forum that we need to cut that spline adapter, as it is a little too long for VW T4 (Eurovan)

I also would like to have the multi-function working on the cruise control, radio control if possible and as well
keeping my horn.

If someone can help with text procedure or picture procedure if any exist, that will be really appreciate.

I have the 4 spoke multi-control that come from a Jetta 2003 TDI and the adapter spline.

Thank you and forward to hear regarding that project.

Have a Great Day

Revo

#31 ·
Hi. I went from the standard wheel on my '96 T4 to the one top right in your last picture. Problem is it's slightly loose on the splines. It deffo doesn't need to go from 17mm to 27mm, seems more like it could do with 19mm....
Has anyone got any ideas on this? Cheers..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.