VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Anyone tow a caravan

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Rooster 
#1 ·
As the title really and wondering if anyone has experience of towing a caravan with their T4. I'm thinking my LWB 2.5 tdi will be a good tow vehicle but wondering if towing with a van makes the overall package more stable.

#3 ·
Same here...I have the 2.5tdi 102 bhp Multivan and tug a single axle, but top end Swift Challenger which is a combined 12 metre length. You have to work the gears a bit but have towed to Spain and across France with no trouble.

The size and weight of the T4 gives you a very good tug which keeps the caravan quite stable.

Go for it...T:

#5 ·
hi i just tow my caravan for first time we now in cornwall, the t4 does make a good tug. My van has golf tdi motor & performs reasonably well with 1600kg caravan, i have westalia tow bar & run 80kg nose weight, try to keep most heavy gear in van like the awning etc but keep it in front of rear wheels makes for a stable outfit !

#8 ·
I pull a big twin axle MTPLM of 1800KG with my swb 2.5tdi 102

used to be a bit of a chore but since going down the PP1 route its a breeze - and even better since I renewed my knackered old shocks (though now looking at those air bags that sit inside the rear springs to improve it further still)

#9 ·
Re Air Bags. I looked into these and was told that due to the T4 set up they had to be put in sideways so not a good idea. I fitted MAD Spring inserts and HD springs to by long wheel base 2.5 T4. We have a Ricon chair lift fitted which is really heavy and I tow a 2 berth caravan. The set up works very well. I also fitted HD rear BOGE shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.