VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4's in OZ

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Abyss 
#1 ·
Anyone know if there's a T4 market in OZ - we may be moving out there. I did suggest driving Chuggy over but the 'logistics manager' was having none of it......I don't think I could go on without a T4 in my life :( ;) LOL:

#4 ·
Cheeky buggers you poms (guessing ur English) - of course we Aussies have T4s - we're not that backwwod!!
I'm in the Garden state of Victoria and regularly go bush in my T4 camper.
If there are some other T4 owners who have taken their vehicles to Fraser Island or at least gone on to dry sand, I would love to hear from you.
I am going up to Qld in Sept to Fraser Island and I know about deflating tyres etc _ ex Toyoya 4wd owner - however I am not too confident about getting the vehicle through Dry sand especially as it will be loaded to the hilt with a double kayak and other gear.

Anyone with some experience I would to hear from you.

Cheers

Howard

#5 ·
The T4 was sold originally in 1992. I knew someone who bought the 1.8 petrol version. There were probably more petrol engines sold than the 2.4 diesel. [1.9 was not sold here] The 2.5TDI was not sold in OZ until 2000. Most of the later vans are autos, many with V6 2.8. There are also some Syncros.[manuals of course]
It's worth noting that the vans are generally rust free & that includes all the mechanical bits. I am amazed as some of the pictures of suspensions, engines, gearboxes etc. that are posted on this forum & others showing significant corrosion & rust.
Here is an extreme price for a camper in OZ. Trakka is considered the premium camper build in OZ.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2003-Tra...007712?pt=AU_Caravans_RVs&hash=item2a42014c20

#8 ·
I have toiled over it for months as I am either moving later this year or in 2016 - depending on mine and the other half's work situation... If you have permanent right to stay, you can import it at a fairly reasonable cost without too much red tape... +/-£1k for a RORO ship + ~AU$2k in customs fees, rego testing etc on that side to get it on the road...

Beware though - Aussies are VERY strict on modified vehicles - ANYTHING non-factory standard has a certain amount of hassle... This is what has put me off importing; I've got a non-std engine, non-std wheels, non-std suspension and all the 'bolt in' bits for the camper conversion + pop top...

With the T4 market strong here, and the AU$ weakening, I've decided to sell and buy there... Plus I can get a van with aircon there instead as retrofit is too costly T:

#13 ·
.....on the topic of non-standard retro-fitting. Do you think if the Oz authorities would identify and PP2 conversion if one used VW intercooler etc? I mean, do they go through all the paperwork + cross ref engine config etc?

Also, would an imported T4 pass emissions testing?

Cheers

#14 ·
I don't think they'd notice... As long as it wasn't done with bright blue silicone hoses etc...

I'm a bit gutted really - the main challenge for me would be getting the pop-top through as it isn't 'Australian Design Regs' approved... Not worth the risk of them saying no...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.