VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 Campers - How many left?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  ticktock1 
#1 ·
Just returned from a holiday on the Northumberland coast and have covered 580 miles. During our travels we decided to make a list of just how many older (pre T5) VW campers we saw and thought our figures may be of interest to some of you in that we spotted 2 splits, 5 bays, 4 Type 25/3s and only 3 other T4s. Does this mean there are actually more bays and T25/3s out there now than T4s?
To qualify for listing the vans had to be obvious campers and be actually driving on the road

#2 ·
So what in your book would make a specific T1, T2 or T25 a "obvious camper"? And the same question for a T4?

I would think hardly anyone drives anything older then a T4 as a everyday driver or work vehicle, so just seeing one of the older VWs would shout out "camper" to many. But as T4s are still around doing commercial work it is much harder to distinguish between standard and leisure ones.
I wonder if you saw my T4 if you would classify it as a "camper"? No pop-top, no stickers, no bonnet cover.

#3 ·
Most of them are probably down here in Devon and Cornwall my friend. Positively clogging the roads....I'm in a small village, and there's ours, the bloke down the road with a works van, a T25 and a Ford Anglia a la harry potter I:

Pete :)

#7 ·
Question was just a bit of fun I know.

I reckon there are probably loads of T4 Campers out there but they may not be as obvious. I think the T4 is really starting to be considered a classic in its own right now so I don't think they will die out. Of course having such a following can also be a disadvantage, as it becomes more profitable to break them down for parts.

#12 ·
Here in Ireland we have quite a few left almost ! T4s that is And believe me most of those are still working vans ,problem is once they reach a certain milage they are snapped by Eastern Europeans for export and scrapyard parts are hard got !! Not a TDI to be found ..but thats another thread......

#9 ·
I think that there are a lot of "not obvious" t4 camper conversions out there, and even more "day vans". Mine doesn't look particularly like a camper (on purpose really) but apart from lack of fitted cupboards (coming soon) and wiring (coming sooner) that's what it is for.

I dont see many purpose built T4 campers around - but there weren't that many in the first place were there? I still see quite a lot of T4 conversions around - not many work vans now though (there are some around me though).

#10 ·
I guess - the answer is really difficult to work out.

You can probably get official production figures from VW on Westfalia California's sold in Germany, France and Spain (any other markets?). Here in the UK we've got the 'How Many Left?' site - but is there an equivalent service in Europe? You'd have to try and track any exports as well.

Impossible task - even before aftermarket producers (Reimo) then considering self builds/van conversions.

I have a T4 Westfalia California, haven't seen another in the UK but saw LOADS on a recent Euro trip, almost everywhere we stopped we shared space with one or more T4 Californias!

#11 ·
Totally agree.

Just returned last week from the Harz Mountains and the amount of working T4s on the roads was unbelievable. The variation was unreal from normal panel vans to the doka with all sorts of rear units on them and also a 6 wheeled car transporter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.