VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Would you want an air-ride system on your van????

Ripples in the water............air ride for the T4

171K views 637 replies 93 participants last post by  Or_GazM 
#1 ·
Ok guys and girls.
Just a mini update for you all but, Keith (T4chippy) and I have been chatting rubbish in the shadows and have potentially come into contact with someone about an air-ride system for the T4.:eek: It's early days and nothing can be promised. I will keep you all abreast of the latest info and detail when and where it happens.I:

If it works there could be a decent discount for forum members as well... again, not final as this is mega early days. H:

#3 · (Edited)
Re: Ripples in the water............

Will it help for those that tow gaz?

That may drag a few more in. Myself included perhaps
Definitely T:

Would sort the bouncy front end out too I:

This isn't the company were in negotiations with but it's a simalar system T:

And yes, were trying for a T5 system aswell I:

#13 ·

removing the torsion bar would cost sod all mate its the chassis/ inner wing/ strut top mods which would cost the $
Yep! Agree 100%. I don't imagine you'll be able to get down really low either, without a lot of other costly mods. There's not a lot of room under the front of a T4 :confused:

#10 ·

Www.air-lift.co.uk

These are re guys me and keith are chattig to. They've said the torsion bar issue is very simple by all accounts so thats not such issue. Price wise, not a clue yet. It will all depend on what set up you have put on and what controls you'd have. Have a gander at the site to get ideas.

#12 ·

Nice one fellas! :ILU:

Cheers for the PM on this Keith. T:

This sounds like a top idea for those who want a head-turner during the week and an off-road camper during the weekend.

I'm just hoping it would be a legal system here now. I bet they'll love me popping into the ITV (MoT) centre AGAIN asking all these questions!!

Hope it's gonna be a reasonable price, I've got a fair drive to do if I want one. :D

Jeff

#14 ·

to take away the "bounce" on the rear i fitted a neoprene aftermarket airbag kit that fits inside the coils of the springs,self inflating up to 7 psi and really stops the rocking sensation of lowered vans,especially vans carrying the weight of a full conversion,available on ebay around £100 for the full kit. Again can be seen at busfreeze and fitting advice to anyone who needs it

#16 ·

Well not too sure how we'll go about it but as soon as I know I'll let you all know. I'm sure he's got a few ideas.

#17 ·

Any other advise from the low crew that might help? As Gaz said, this chap has plenty of experiance in fitting his kits to vehicles with torsion bar set up's but discussion is good and we maybe able to get this at a half decent price if we group buy T:

#20 ·
Excellent, how do I near enough do it for free, be very interested to hear T:

What I'm actually after is something I can comfortably ride on around town, higher to areas with speed bumps or country roads and towing and lower for shows. Don't see how I'm pretending to be low when it actually is :confused: perhaps I'll let my tyres down at shows aswell then ;)

#19 ·

Ahh - first time I've checked out the video clip. Reminds me of lots of old Citroens I used to own! (still got one actually). The lowering function has another positive effect that no one has mentioned yet - with the front fully lowered, there's no way anyone can get a wheel clamp on the wheel!

//NiSk

#25 ·
Agreed. Any Hydraulics is much the same as Air really. You'll still have to change things around (maybe) and if it works for air, IE- we find a way to slam it and make it work without removing the whole front end then it could open up options for hydraulics.

If you want practicality stay stock. If you want to lower it you can near enough do it for free, why splash out on air? I'm not saying dont do it, just dont start saying 'look how low my van is', say 'look how low I'm pretending my van is'.
Today 13:34/QUOTE]

Mate, you can never lower anything for free nor near enough!!! It's not about the so called look and "pretending". You need to actually lower it to give it the lowest point anyway on the T4. It's all about practicality for me. I'm fully converted in the back (minus sinkI:) and I want to be able to lower it for shows/decent roads/motorways and then raise it up when I drive on gash roads and in town over speed bumps.

I'm sorry for T4chippy and myself having a level of innovation for our beloved T4's. Hey if it works and your driving around a bumpy/muddy field at a show, get stuck and have to crawl around everywhere, - Keith and I will demonstrate to you how wonderful this pointless idea/system really is as we casually cruise pass. I:Rasp:LOL::D

Hey, it may not even be possible but where's the harm in actually trying to find out if it will......:cool:;)

#26 ·
Now now ladies........I:
Lets take it all down a notch ( you see what i did there...notch...slamming.....i'm blooming hilarious):D
If the clearance can be created front and rear like mine then when the bags are down you'll be sat on the sump coz i can go lower but steering is then out the question (overated anyway) but if your parked it dont matter....win win.
Personally i'm a static man still to be converted to air but if the options there why not take it.
Gaz.

#31 ·
Agreed browner. It's not being bitchy,it's just explaining it. If and when it gets put on the van I think I'll only have the snakes nuts height set for when I'm static like you say. It'll go up to a more practical setting for when I'm mobile (which won't be that much higher....I:). The benefit will be when your able to increase the height again for impractical driving like roads and speed-bumps.T:

#36 ·
Awesome, cheers mate. If you can get a bit of video on up on here as well that would be beyond as well. Did you removed any of the standard fitments from the van dude?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.