VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Planning work on my van, but what order?

407 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  veedweeb 
#1 ·
My van is tatty, and deserves better. I recently got a job, so want to start fixing her up.

My priority is the bodywork, it's solid but dented and has the usual tatty seams & windscreen surround. I would also like to get the gearbox rebuilt and a TDi conversion fitted. The inside is tatty too, but I can live with that for now.

So my dilemma is, what to do 1st...

I want to start with the bodywork, and I'm told it will be off the road for 2-3 months. So I need to get another vehicle, and was thinking of getting a mk3 Golf TDi, and later transplanting the engine. However, he engine bay in my van is tatty, especially round the battery. Currently the bodywork plan excludes the engine bay.

I guess I could just rip the engine and gearbox out before the bodywork is done, and fit the gearbox and TDi afterwards, but of course it means trailering the van around as the bodywork guys wont be able to do the TDi job.

I'm also unsure if leaving the inside is wise, the exposed paintwork inside is tatty too.

So, overall a bit confused about the best way forwards (as usual :*)

How would you plan this all out?

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots to do by the sound of it..
If the current engine is ok for a while,I'd remove the engine, get the body and engine bay done and replace the original engine until I was ready for the tdi. Good plan you've got there though,getting the tdi as a runaround. I did that. Gives you time to really check it all out.
Most of the internal paint, bar the door shuts ,will probably get covered in carpet if you do line it out :*
Good luck with it all. Put up some photos and show us how you get on. A:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.