VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

What's most important to consider when buying a camper?

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  neebsta 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a late model (circa 1999+) VW T4 LWB camper with low mileage.

Tbh from my initial research there aren't ever that many LWB on the market, which is making it difficult to find a good one. Anyway that aside, I would like to know what I should prioritise in looking for in terms of features from a financial and reliability (rust and engine issues etc) perspective?

I've concluded that I'm after a 1.9TD (although the 1.9TDi would be an awesome upgrade) with as much service history as possible.

Because I live and work (forestry) in the van for up to 3 months at a time driving around Wales I really do need it to be well kitted out.

I'm keen to have the following, but need advice on the priority order I should place on these features regarding their cost and whether they are going to be a pain (financially - I won't be fitting it myself but at a garage) to retro-fit to any camper I buy that has been partially or fully converted already:

- Pop-top roof (I like the idea of separating the sleeping and living quarters but guess it might be too cold to use in winter)
- Fully insulated & lined (guessing this is going to be high up the list)
- Space Heating (Gas or Diesel)
- Alloys (probably the lowest priority)
- 40mm lowering (read this can be done badly, so perhaps better I get one without and have it done properly)
- 2 side privacy-tinted windows
- speakers and stereo
- excellent cupboard storage space
- 3-way electric fridge
- LED lighting
- Split-Charge and Electric Hookup
- Leisure battery
- Gas hob and grill
- Bike rack
- Awning
- Body kit

Obviously it would be great to have all these but I've never seen one, so what should I be prioritising and what can I easily have retro-fitted after I buy the camper van?

Many thanks for your advice

See less See more
#6 ·
You mention in your list about having a 3 way electric fridge. If you want to be able to power if 'off the grid' ie with no electric hookup you need to use the gas option to power it (some people don't connect the gas to a 3 way fridge as it involves having a hole cut in the side of the van for a vent. You other option with a fridge would be to have a 12v compressor fridge (popular choice is Waeco CF50) but these are expensive and require a means of keeping your leisure battery topped up ie driving around so the alternator charges it or, as I and others have done, a solar panel.

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to answer each point in turn..

From my experience there's no way I'm chancing taking my beloved camper off road - synchro or not. I prefer the peace of mind of leaving it near the road and walking up the forest tracks, but it's a nice idea.

Yes I accidentally omitted the sink in my list but that's because I've had recent problems with a blocked sink in my current camper and I now mainly use as a temporary store for the various most used items of cutlery and mugs etc.
As for the water tank, I honestly find this a waste of time. Perhaps my current one isn't set up right but I just find as easy to pour in bottled water (that I can buy at a supermarket) rather than filling a tank by paying to stay at campsite.

My current camper is a T4 hightop (but a 1992 version so without power steering and the like) and I find the high top is a bugger for side winds and most of all cornering. It does of course give massive storage tho. I guess I like the idea of the streamlined look of the pop tops, but you're right maybe I need to rethink this in terms of practicality.

I agree an electric fridge while expensive is definitely the best way to go for ease of use. My gas one is a pain...having to switch on and off before driving!

Now the main reason I was considering a T4 over a T5 is that I've heard the latter is less reliable because it hasn't been in production for as long. In addition my budget of £15,000 (£20,000 absolute maximum but that really must have absolutely everything I'm after so I was more thinking of keeping £5,000 back to buy anything that I deem to be missing from my essentials list) seems to be stretched to get all that I want especially if I need to find a late model T5.

Can anyone tell me from what year they think the T5 are most reliable, or is it more based on the previous owner's maintenance of the vehicle? I'm assuming that the early models will have issues that have yet to be ironed out. This is important because I suspect that the newer models of the T5 will probably be out of my price range. What do people think?

#16 ·
For us the primary, and almost only consideration was a crash tested bed and seat, our kids will be travelling with us. So this narrowed our search field considerably! Also the reason we ended up with a Multivan. We're adding a Pop Top (Reimo) and a removable kitchen. The rest of the stuff was deemed as unimportant.

Good luck:ILU:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.