Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28-07-13, 20:50
fra-mini's Avatar
fra-mini fra-mini is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: doncaster
Posts: 528
T4 Post Icon et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

right, iv just sifted through 100 pages of "banded steel club" and not really found what i want
iv been running std springs for ages now, and used to the nice smooth ride with the big tyre combo.

but, it looks dogga

iv got some 7.5j merc 16" steels et41 , im looking for a nice wide band (as wide as poss) dont mind wedges etc but, i point blank refuse to go down the old route of

"oh my god, theres a f___ing manhole cover, brace yourselves"

i previously had 18" wheels, running red springs.

i did try the eibachs for a few miles but never really bedded them in before i sold them on.

what do you guys reccommend? i.e tyre size, band width, total et, and lowered'ness... if thats a real term

my vans a full camper, heavyweight conversion (rnr, units, roof, roof box etc)

Last edited by fra-mini; 28-07-13 at 21:01.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 28-07-13, 21:27
colese's Avatar
colese colese is offline
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bristol based
Posts: 17,028
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra-mini View Post
right, iv just sifted through 100 pages of "banded steel club" and not really found what i want
iv been running std springs for ages now, and used to the nice smooth ride with the big tyre combo.

but, it looks dogga

iv got some 7.5j merc 16" steels et41 , im looking for a nice wide band (as wide as poss) dont mind wedges etc but, i point blank refuse to go down the old route of

"oh my god, theres a f___ing manhole cover, brace yourselves"

i previously had 18" wheels, running red springs.

i did try the eibachs for a few miles but never really bedded them in before i sold them on.

what do you guys reccommend? i.e tyre size, band width, total et, and lowered'ness... if thats a real term

my vans a full camper, heavyweight conversion (rnr, units, roof, roof box etc)
Sale them and get some Vito 6j x 16 et 53,6.5j x 16 et60 or t4 6j x 16 et53 steels and use them instead,those ain't no good for big bands...2inch max band on the rear with them...

Check out the daily work log and offers
https://www.facebook.com/SC-VW-Customs-279061842150643/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 28-07-13, 22:42
fra-mini's Avatar
fra-mini fra-mini is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: doncaster
Posts: 528
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

What's the max band you can go with a et60 si?

Iv still got the grabbers fitted on them, might use them for winter wheels and get some vitos and band them..

Oh, also, I pm'd you ages ago about the bolts, you didn't reply.. :-/ I still want some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 29-07-13, 08:24
THE RED BARON's Avatar
THE RED BARON THE RED BARON is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON ABBOT DEVON
Posts: 343
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

As colese said sell em, if you want a good bamd they really are the wrong wheels, you'd only get away with a 1 inch band 1 1/2 would be a push, I'm running vito 16 rims 8.5 front 9.5 rear w7th a drop of 100mm but, I've had to drop the tyre size to 195/55 x16 (check it out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 29-07-13, 08:57
Andy Wardle's Avatar
Andy Wardle Andy Wardle is offline
Lord of the T4s
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leicester
Posts: 1,333
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE RED BARON View Post
As colese said sell em, if you want a good bamd they really are the wrong wheels, you'd only get away with a 1 inch band 1 1/2 would be a push, I'm running vito 16 rims 8.5 front 9.5 rear w7th a drop of 100mm but, I've had to drop the tyre size to 195/55 x16 (check it out)
Gotta love the Red Baron! respect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 29-07-13, 12:03
fra-mini's Avatar
fra-mini fra-mini is offline
Van Master Jedi
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: doncaster
Posts: 528
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

100mm! What's the ride like? Mie was horrific on -60mm red springs!

What's people's vans like on a 10j with -40mm eibachs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 29-07-13, 15:53
THE RED BARON's Avatar
THE RED BARON THE RED BARON is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON ABBOT DEVON
Posts: 343
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fra-mini View Post
100mm! What's the ride like? Mie was horrific on -60mm red springshat's people's vans like on a 10j with -40mm eibachs?
Rides not too bad a little bouncy on the front but, rear feel fine but, saying that I do try an dodge the bad roads. due to not having a lot of travel left,

Last edited by THE RED BARON; 29-07-13 at 15:56.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 29-07-13, 16:00
THE RED BARON's Avatar
THE RED BARON THE RED BARON is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NEWTON ABBOT DEVON
Posts: 343
Default Re: et 41 merc steels, banding and suspension setup..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wardle View Post
Gotta love the Red Baron! respect
Back at ya dude respect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:49.