Old 05-01-16, 13:31
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: T4 at an Age: What to do?

Spraying oil\wax into cavities is a good idea on good bodywork, but a word of advice. If it's rusty and looks like it may need replaced soon, replace it before spraying oil or any anywhere near it. Waxoyl burs very well indeed if you end up having to weld anywhere near it. Also, the smallest trace can make a balls up of an otherwise good paint job if you need any spraying done. It is for prevention, rather than cure.

Yours sounds like it's good so get oiling! Look at some of the Dinitrol range, it's good stuff and generally out-performs waxoyl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-16, 19:47
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtool View Post
Some good advice above. I would just stress oil changes. I do all my vehicles in June and December regardless of mileage. Do it your self and it's cheap. Oil not only lubricates but cools as well. I like the advice about spraying your crevices.....Good job the wife doesn't rust or we'd soon be divorced !
Thanks again, that's a very welcome reminder aboit oil changes. Maybe the thing about wives and crevices we'll keep for another forum, eh?
Old 05-01-16, 19:50
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman View Post
Spraying oil\wax into cavities is a good idea on good bodywork, but a word of advice. If it's rusty and looks like it may need replaced soon, replace it before spraying oil or any anywhere near it. Waxoyl burs very well indeed if you end up having to weld anywhere near it. Also, the smallest trace can make a balls up of an otherwise good paint job if you need any spraying done. It is for prevention, rather than cure.

Yours sounds like it's good so get oiling! Look at some of the Dinitrol range, it's good stuff and generally out-performs waxoyl.
Yes, I'm beginning to see, the oilling is my priority. Thank you
Old 09-01-16, 20:05
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey,n Grumpy View Post
Had my 93-4 2,4 since July , 94 , and its on 238k ...Regular oil changes , etc , and regular spray anything oily into any , and every body cavity you can get to , underneath , suspension mounts , etc . etc . Now and again , cavities that need you to remove door panels , etc. as well ..... I get loads of spray cans from the 1 shop ...!! And when its warm enough , Waxoyl , or similar products ... If you can learn to do a few basic mechanical jobs , you wont need inflated VW dealers ...
Top advice
Old 09-01-16, 20:27
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtool View Post
Some good advice above. I would just stress oil changes. I do all my vehicles in June and December regardless of mileage. Do it your self and it's cheap. Oil not only lubricates but cools as well. I like the advice about spraying your crevices.....Good job the wife doesn't rust or we'd soon be divorced !
Good advice, I change my oil every 3000! Not necessary I know but its cheaper to change oil than repair worn out engines The other thing I would add in response to an earlier reply is to be careful using power washers near hydraulic seals, CV boots etc etc because a power washer can damage them/cause water ingress then damage them if it is powerful enough.

Last edited by u can in a van; 09-01-16 at 20:32.
Old 09-01-16, 20:44
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey,n Grumpy View Post
Had my 93-4 2,4 since July , 94 , and its on 238k ...Regular oil changes , etc , and regular spray anything oily into any , and every body cavity you can get to , underneath , suspension mounts , etc . etc . Now and again , cavities that need you to remove door panels , etc. as well ..... I get loads of spray cans from the 1 shop ...!! And when its warm enough , Waxoyl , or similar products ... If you can learn to do a few basic mechanical jobs , you wont need inflated VW dealers ...
I use Dynax UB for underbody protection and Dynax S50 for cavities - both better than waxoil IMHO. Just do a Google search to see how highly recommended they are! I get mine on-line from Opie Oils and they deliver very quickly. Every time I remove any bolt/nut I apply a smear of copper ease to make sure it can come off nicely next time - obviously don't do it if it is a locking nut
Old 10-01-16, 20:16
Van Rookie

with regards to oil changes, use the very best oil not cheaper oils...better to change it more regularly with great oil....with regards to battery charge...do you have anything that is on all the time? eg. soemthing that is not on the ignition circuit......that automatically turns off.....that will drain the battery whilst the car is sitting? check all of those extra wires or stuff previous owner might have installed....or get a good auto electrician to go through the bus......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in