Old 13-09-16, 18:42
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Lucky Escape. Need a new passenger side electric wing mirror ASAP

Around 14.30 this afternoon I was travelling back to work along the M66 which is a two lane motorway at @ 60 MPH.

Whilst approaching an entry slip road up ahead I see two wagons, one artic and one tipper truck travelling side by side down the slip road to join the motorway. They had good head of speed as the slip road is a fairly steep downhill slope.

The motorway was quiet so I indicated and pulled into lane two, the outside lane to allow them both easy access into lane one.

The tipper truck entered the motorway into lane one as I was level with the end of the slip road.

The artic mustn't have seen my T4 at all in lane two as the moment he joined lane one he swerved into lane two trying to overtake the tipper truck.

The tipper was in the outside lane of the slip road as he joined lane one. The artic was in the inside lane of the slip road and went straight across into lane two at an angle.

Anyway I had to take evasive action as I was around half way down his offside as he swung into lane two so had absolutely nowhere to go. It was like watching crazy accidents on youtube.

Luckily I avoided the central reservation under hard but controlled braking with my fingers crossed but my off side tyre sidewalls are very green from the shrubbery and I was certain that I was going to hit the barrier. The driver must have then seen my T4 as he tried to swerve back into lane one.

The only damage was that my nearside mirror was ripped forwards so the housing is fubar and the lens is cracked. and there are some very minor but long scratches that should hopefully T Cut out.

The main thing is that nobody was injured just my T4.

I explained to the driver just how lucky we both were, especially me, as he hadn't seen me at all as I was in his blind spot and he should not have move straight into lane two from the slip road anyway.

I have been driving large vehicles myself for the past 24 years and I think that experience and spacial awareness has helped a lot in me managing not to hit the barrier, lose traction under braking or take more serious damage. That plus the safety features of the T4 of course.

The artic drivers employers have agreed to refund me for the cost of a new mirror rather than go through our insurance but we exchanged insurance details as a precaution.

There were no witnesses as the M66 was unusually quiet but at least he pulled over and exchanged details and didn't try to blame me for it. Nobody was hurt so that

Think I will pick six numbers on the lottery tonight.

Best place to get a nearside electric mirror quickly please?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-16, 18:50
Serial Poster

T4 Post Icon Re: Lucky Escape. Need a new passenger side electric wing mirror ASAP

Hi mate try caddy daddy he has got one breaking in classifieds or ebay good luck
Old 13-09-16, 19:54
Van Guru
I Support Macmillan

Default Re: Lucky Escape. Need a new passenger side electric wing mirror ASAP

http://www.autocrashparts.co.uk/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-09-16, 20:22
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Lucky Escape. Need a new passenger side electric wing mirror ASAP

Thanks for the replies.
Old 14-09-16, 12:16
Van Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: Lucky Escape. Need a new passenger side electric wing mirror ASAP

"wingmirrorman" Trafford Park. All types and colour coded

Rob
Old 14-09-16, 17:05
Serial Poster

An artic travelling in the centre lane pulled in and forced me out of the nearside lane and onto the hard shoulder a few years back, frightened the bejesus out of me. Good thing there was a hard shoulder as a lot of them are disappearing and becoming the nearside lane.
Old 14-09-16, 20:30
Van Master Jedi

Frightening isn't it?

You feel so helpless as the road ahead disappears, as you say at least you had the hard shoulder as a means of escape.

I always try to stay out of the blind spots of large vehicles when travelling along motorways if possible. hang back then pass as quickly as possible when it is safe to do so.
Old 17-09-16, 11:54
Van Master Jedi

All sorted now.

Eventually bought one from an Ebay seller. Arrived this morning now fitted and working.

Thanks
Old 17-09-16, 13:11
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black T4 2.5 TDI View Post
Frightening isn't it?

You feel so helpless as the road ahead disappears, as you say at least you had the hard shoulder as a means of escape.

I always try to stay out of the blind spots of large vehicles when travelling along motorways if possible. hang back then pass as quickly as possible when it is safe to do so.
Thats what I do now as well. It is annoying that when a lorry pulls alongside overtaking me that I now feel the need to slow down so it gets past before it pulls in but it is not a good idea to stay in their blind spot, also when overtaking, get by asap especially if the truck is a left hand drive.
The trucks should all have FRENSEL LENSES, one pointing down and one pointing backwards on each side.
I have one for reversing. They are really good. Mine was only six pounds from ebay and it makes reversing so much easier as I don't have reverse senors. http://www.rhaonline.co.uk/vehicle-s...ext-0106-.html
Old 24-09-16, 19:58
Serial Poster

Glad you got away without injury!

A Land Rover almost took me out on the M27 last week. He was joining from the slip road and either did not see me, thought he had the right to pull out regardless of what was in the inside lane, or that he could force me into the middle lane! WRONG! I was going nowhere as there was a vehicle in the centre lane right beside me, thankfully he changed his mind a few inches from a collision with me! It really annoys me that so many people joining the motorway do not realise that they do NOT have the right to pull out in front of traffic already on the motorway I now have a dashcam!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in