Old 05-02-12, 18:16
Van Pro

Default Re: Flashing oil pressure warning problems

I'm asking because it is not obvious to me, if i'm being as thick as F*&%, i do apologise, but i asked the question in good faith, after reading the whole post.

I'm trying to make sense of the problem in my own head to help me fix it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-12, 19:00
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellenpatrick View Post
I'm asking because it is not obvious to me, if i'm being as thick as F*&%, i do apologise, but i asked the question in good faith, after reading the whole post.

I'm trying to make sense of the problem in my own head to help me fix it!
This bit of post #1 should kinda give it away...

Quote:
...monitors the low pressure sensor when the engine is below 2000 rpm and the high pressure sensor above 2000 RPM. This is done via the instrument panel which uses the 'w' terminal on the alternator to measure engine RPM...
Old 07-02-12, 07:08
Van Rookie

Ok Can I ask and forgive me if this is stupid, but is this Petrol engines and diesels or just one?
I have no buzzer noises and no flashing lights whilst driving, but I do have an intermittent starting issue (see other post) that when It wont start, after cranking the oil light flashes
any advice please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-12, 07:51
Van Master Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

I know this is probably irrelevant to the T4 but on some of the earlier 1.8T petrol engines there was an oil pressure issue which triggers the low pressure warning light & buzzer, but this is caused by the sump pick up being blocked. This happens on the early ones because the sump was too small which causes the oil in the sump to too hot which in turn burns the oil on the inside of the sump, these burnt bits then break loose & start blocking the sump pick up. It's a simple one to sort out but a difficult one to diagnose. It's a good reason to use good quality oil.
Rich
Old 07-02-12, 08:18
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Cane View Post
Ok Can I ask and forgive me if this is stupid, but is this Petrol engines and diesels or just one?
Nope - applies to petrol engines also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Cane View Post
I have no buzzer noises and no flashing lights whilst driving, but I do have an intermittent starting issue (see other post) that when It wont start, after cranking the oil light flashes
any advice please?
The light flashes because the engine is not running... i.e. no oil pressure = the oil pressure warning is working!
Old 07-02-12, 08:26
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthomas View Post
I know this is probably irrelevant to the T4 but on some of the earlier 1.8T petrol engines there was an oil pressure issue which triggers the low pressure warning light & buzzer, but this is caused by the sump pick up being blocked. This happens on the early ones because the sump was too small which causes the oil in the sump to too hot which in turn burns the oil on the inside of the sump, these burnt bits then break loose & start blocking the sump pick up. It's a simple one to sort out but a difficult one to diagnose. It's a good reason to use good quality oil.
Rich
Forgive me, but it is difficult to see how this (although useful information to someone with 1.8T I'm sure) is of relevance to the DOP oil pressure warning system faults. 1.8T-engined vehicles didn't have DOP and nor was such an engine ever available in the T4...unless you converted but then one would also change the sump which you indicate is the root of the problem.
Old 08-02-12, 07:36
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by penbryn View Post
Nope - applies to petrol engines also

The light flashes because the engine is not running... i.e. no oil pressure = the oil pressure warning is working!
Ok thanks, I guess that is a good thing then, however any one able to advise me about my starter issues (see other thread intermittent starting issues. Thanks
Old 29-02-12, 19:02
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: Flashing oil pressure warning problems

Just goes to show, listen people befoire opver-complicating things with your own confused mind!

Front end on axle stands, sump guard off, quick check over everything and there it is......

...both wires going into alternator had been cut and badly re-acquainted!

Stripped them, soldered them heat wrapped them and went for a spin - not a peep.

Thank you Penbryn and plese forive my initial tardy attitude
Old 12-03-12, 14:42
Van Rookie

Hi Penbryn, I have the common oil light flashing at all rev's , I checked the wires off the back of the alternator and although they are waring through near the alternator there is no break and resistance is ok to dashboard. Do you know how to test the signal the alternator is giving off for reveal counter? I put a multimeter on the blue wire and got just over 14v with engine running, is this correct?
Old 03-05-12, 09:04
Van Rookie

Thumbs up Re: Flashing oil pressure warning problems

Cheers Penbryn

Really good summary and offers good clarity, I have got the same issue.
Would you have any advise on removing the dials on instrument panel so i can replace a broken Oil LED, just bought a 2.4 T4 and previous owner addressed this issue by cutting wires and busting the LED to stop flashing(reckon he tried to get led out with a hammer ). Its a good engine and bus and deserves some TLC.

Tags
oil light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in