Old 09-11-17, 06:39
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Newbie looking at a petrol T4 California

Hi, I have another post on here asking about a T2 or T5 decision but that's gone a bit off-topic and I now have a more specific question.
I'm interested in this van https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia...l/322792532896 which is a petrol 2.5 and has 78k miles. Looks good internally. I'm wondering if it's worth a 600 mile round trip to view it.
- I have read that I can't expect a good mpg from this, that doesn't worry me as long as it's going to be reasonably reliable mechanically.
- is 78K high for a petrol engine? Spares and servicing OK? (I will be using it more in Europe than UK, hence looking at LHD)
- It doesn't have a heater which is a concern since I would want to do some wild camping when I won't have mains (so can't use an electric one) - any suggestions about that?
- it does have a newish MOT (the DVLA MOT history site is very confused about this since it had a French registration when it had the MOT done (May 2017). The dealer has been helpful in sending me all the relevant docs about it's history.
- anything specific I should look out for if/when I view it?
Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-17, 06:58
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: Newbie looking at a petrol T4 California

Read as much as you can on here about buying a used T4 (like everything they do have weak areas), and much of that will apply regardless of which model you look at.

Missing Westfalia bits can sometimes take even more searching out than early T4 stuff, so check all those items carefully. Fuel consumption you are aware of (cheaper in mainland Europe anyway), lots of sources for service parts and spares; your viewing will be very near one many on here use anyway.

So have a good look (take someone with you too), but if you do buy; do it with your head not only with your heart
Old 09-11-17, 08:11
Serial Poster
Regional Coordinator

Default Re: Newbie looking at a petrol T4 California

Lpg.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-17, 22:11
Van Expert

Hi the van looks tidy in the video but the add suggests its a bit tired on the bodywork so i would be asking for lots of detail on this before travelling 600 miles. I wouldn't worry about the mileage as its pretty low I have a 2.5 petrol with 160,000 on it still runs sweet with no signs of wear and seen them with much higher miles still going strong
Old 10-11-17, 17:38
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

I've got the same vehicle but with a pop-top (didn't realise they did a hightop with that interior). Manual box helps, most petrols are autos (from Japan like mine).

Fuel consumption sat resolutely at 20.5mpg on mine for years, then a flurry of work on the engine (vacuum tubes, electrical stuff) improved it. The high top wont help MPG on this one though!

My engine's done at least 110k miles. I think someone on here pulled one apart at 250k and it was like new inside. They're not overly stressed I believe. Some parts are unobtainable - specific camper bits as noted above but also some VW parts. Pattern parts are available but not always good enough quality (as my wife found out when a poor quality - german - coil failed).

My only caution is around sorting out electrical/fuelling issues, so make sure it drives 'normally'. The digifant injection/ignition ecu arrangement is massively over complicated in places. Finding faults can be like the needle in the haystack.

The vehicle looks like it's had a petrol rear heater at some point. The vent looks to be there (not on mine) on the floor at the rear of the driver's seat next to the kitchen. And the switching is there straight up above the sink at eye level. There's space for the heater to go underneath, and you can get a propex one (looks like it has an LPG source somewhere?) fitted. Or you could see about getting it fixed if it's still there, but not working. Parts can be expensive or unobtanium.

Rust can be an issue everywhere, on the inner sills and in the floor around the middle at the rear is particularly dodgy. Mine's very clean underneath but regularly sprouts scabs everywhere.

Having said all that, I love our van. Wife and I talked about getting a new one (to slim down the fleet) and the kids have refused to even consider it...

1993 Westfalia Eurovan CV Camper 2.5L petrol originally exported to Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in