Old 01-08-12, 12:37
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: 6-speed Conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
Is a DMF the way to go here Motters? Just aware of the troubles that Brookster had with his.

Fair play. As I've said there's a few that will be interested, me included. Please keep us all up to date.
I've done over 1000miles on the Single Mass Flywheel now and its much better to drive than the DMF

I've had 3 LUK DMF's go on me , one which went big style.

T4 SWB 2.4D Turbo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-12, 16:47
Van Master Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

Fair enough Brookster - but I assume you are running a 2.4D from your post signature which is not the same engine, gearbox, clutch or DMF as the AJT that I have based this thread around?

The modified Sachs clutch I have is also designed to be used in cojunction with a standard DMF. You can of course go down the VR6 clutch and SMF option but this is not the choice I have made after weighing up the options available and driving characteristics of each setup.

The kit has been ordered so I should see it arrive in 2-3weeks now.....will post pictures when I get it in my hands!

Last edited by Motters; 01-08-12 at 16:55.
Old 01-08-12, 18:52
Serial Poster

be interesting to see the results of this! definetly would like this on my set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-12, 19:00
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster View Post
I've done over 1000miles on the Single Mass Flywheel now and its much better to drive than the DMF

I've had 3 LUK DMF's go on me , one which went big style.
Ive got a sachs single mass in my camper and a dmf in my work van - both 150bhp AJT - both recently changed.

My work van slips a bit now and then but is a bit quieter at idle

My camper does not slip at all and ive been across europe in it twice no problems
Old 01-08-12, 19:10
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motters View Post
not the same engine, gearbox, clutch or DMF as the AJT that I have based this thread around?
I'd delete that statement if i was you , due to it being incorrect

when you fit the 6 Speed conversion the longer ratio's will put for strain on the DMF Flywheel

how do i know this , cos i had a Quaife six speed conversion in an 02C Box in a Golf

probably the reason 2 of my friend who i go racing with have fitted 228mm SMF form a AJA /AAB and a uprate friction plate (6 puk) in their AJT's which are over 150bhp

T4 SWB 2.4D Turbo

Last edited by Brookster; 01-08-12 at 19:47.
Old 01-08-12, 22:47
Van Master Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

Brookster - it was a question not a statement.........hence the question mark. Maybe I should have worded it differently, but not everyone is perfect!

Last edited by Motters; 01-08-12 at 23:00.
Old 02-08-12, 07:02
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motters View Post
Brookster - it was a question not a statement.........hence the question mark. Maybe I should have worded it differently, but not everyone is perfect!

i wouldn't spend the money on the 6 speed conversion for a T4 , better off fittinng a Longer 5th Gear and bigger Tyres etc

T4 SWB 2.4D Turbo
Old 02-08-12, 10:12
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster View Post
i wouldn't spend the money on the 6 speed conversion for a T4 , better off fittinng a Longer 5th Gear and bigger Tyres etc
Totally agree, complete waste of money on a van.

Why you'd want 6 gears on a torquey diesel is beyond me.
Old 02-08-12, 14:49
Van Master Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

Who would want a longer 6th gear - Well I would as it happens, the ability to sit at 70mph running approx 2300rpm will greatly improve the long distance motorway driving in the van by reducing engine noise and overall cabin comfort. A slight improvement in MPG will likely eb seen but is not the reason I am carrying out this mod.

If you don't want to spend the money fair enough.......that is your choice. My van is not something I am doing to run for a year and sell, therefore any money spent on it is a long term outlay.......this is a motor I will keep and run alongside other cars for everyday use around town.

As for the longer 5th that is definetly an option, but the downside being that you get a slightly longer step down in rpm between 4th and 5th.....where as the 6th speed kit keeps the standard steps between 1st and 5th whilst adding a similar step down to the new 6th gear. This also comes in very handy on the german autobahns as it will let the van run along at 100mph (at approx 3600rpm) without the engine crying in vain (like present at approx 4200rpm).

I am not arguing a point as to why you should all do this mod, but rather providing information to others who may wish to carry out this as well.

If you don't want to know my findings/experience with the mods I have/am currently carried out it's simple, just don't read my threads.......don't berate and argue that your mods are best, your opinion counts more, etc. That is not constructive to anyone.

Sorry for the rant, but I am seeing this more and more on the forum these days, making this a minefield of information/mis-information rather than the friendly source it has been in the past.

Peace and Love to all.
Old 02-08-12, 14:59
Lord of the T4s

Incorrect again. and youre ar$ey attitude really doesn't add any weight to your argument at all.

The reason you'd fit a 6 speed kit is to get less of a drop between gear changes so your vehicle stays within it's power band and thus accelerates quicker.

If all you're changing is 5th and 6th then all that is is basically an overdrive kit, and you're then going to have the problem where 4th to 5th is too short if you're not changing the other gears. So you're not fixing the issue you describe with fitting just a longer 5th.

Cheaper and easier to fit bigger tyres and/or change the final drive.

Enjoy your purchase. I love my close ratio 6 speed dog box, but it's not in my T4.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in