Old 21-06-09, 22:07
VWT4 Forum Administrator
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentI Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In NeedOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Automatic Gearbox - Additional cooling

I know i am posting to myself here, but hopefully it will help some others in the long term.

The problem with the radiator with no fan assistance is that the gearbox tends to overheat when it is on steep climb when it has to shift down, and is usually travelling slowly at this point hence there is no airflow over the cooler so the temperature still climb to high.

Hence i think the fan assisted option is the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-09, 23:15
VWT4 Forum Administrator
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentI Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In NeedOfficial MemberVW Transporter

In addition to the additional cooling lots of people seem to add an oil temperature gauge/sensor, this would definitely be needed if you were adding a fan controlled unit.

As i see you can either have it inline where you will mount the additional tubing for the coller or make a sensor for the sump, like the following.

Inline oil sensor

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/3764/m...ch/pid/6555041

Sump oil sensor

Sump oil sensor2

Last edited by Jim Doodle; 22-06-09 at 08:30.
Old 21-06-09, 23:23
VWT4 Forum Administrator

See attachment for the sonnax adapter kit for additional cooling

This attaches to the banjo bolts which holds the original cooler.

Banjo Bolts

Sonnax Adapters

Banjo bolt close up being screwed in

http://www.sonnax.com/part_summary.p...=3&make=5&unit
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automatic-gearbox-Adapter Kit.pdf (157.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: pdf Automatic-gearbox-Adapter Kit installation.pdf (206.5 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Jim Doodle; 21-06-09 at 23:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-06-09, 23:35
VWT4 Forum Administrator

Here is a nice oil cooler:
Mesa Maxi-Cool 6 Pass External Oil Cooler with fan

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/ca/3764/m...an/pid/6558090

If you combine this switch temp with this cooler it automatically cuts in at 180, which sounds about right.

Quote:
Designed to be mounted in-line or attaches directly to the Mesa style oil coolers. Automatically operated the oil cooler fan at 180 degrees.

Last edited by Jim Doodle; 22-06-09 at 08:34.
Old 22-06-09, 06:36
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Some very useful info here Jim. You are the autobox guru.
Having just bought an auto caravelle,I'm very interested in fitting this mod. Those Sonnax fittings look to be ideal,couldn't find a price on their website though Keep the info coming as I'm definitley going to fit a cooler.
Cheers, Alan.

Present: 2000 SWB Caravelle 2.5 TDI 102HP auto
Past: 2002 SWB Caravelle 2.5 TDI 88HP R.I.P

Last edited by blacktop; 22-06-09 at 12:55.
Old 22-06-09, 22:24
VWT4 Forum Administrator

The optimal temperature for the gearbox is between 160F to 180F, the water cooling unit runs water from the rad, which is up to 190F, go figure...
Old 23-06-09, 06:43
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doodle View Post
The optimal temperature for the gearbox is between 160F to 180F, the water cooling unit runs water from the rad, which is up to 190F, go figure...
And I thought german engineering was supposed to be among the best. More like an oil heater rather than a cooler!

Present: 2000 SWB Caravelle 2.5 TDI 102HP auto
Past: 2002 SWB Caravelle 2.5 TDI 88HP R.I.P
Old 23-06-09, 08:47
VWT4 Forum Administrator

That's interesting you mention that German engineering is better, because after they added the lock-up torque convector in 1994 the unit was manufactured in Mexico...

And it was the lock-up convector that has been blamed in the past for the high-temperatures

I would love to hear if anyone has had any problems with the pre 94 automatic gearbox?
Old 23-06-09, 13:18
Van Man

Jim

I love all your info on Auto-Boxes, it's all very useful.

A while back I was having problems with my Auto-box.
After a fluid change the van ran great, but it was only a matter of a few months before it started playing up.
I had suspicions that the ATF was getting too hot and degrading too quickly. So, I rigged up the VAG-COM and went out for a drive to monitor the Auto-Box temp. I was a tad shocked when I discovered that it took no time at all to get the fluid up to 120C (250F) and went as high as 140C (280F)!!! Ok, I reckon the temperature sensor might be a bit dodgy, but the readings were still a cause for concern.

So, I did a bit of trawling on the web and came across a few suggestions:
  1. Fit an oil cooler.
  2. Use a synthetic ATF.
  3. Adjust the torque converter solenoid by winding it in an extra 1/4-1/3 of a turn. (This apparently compensates for wear, reducing the amount of fluid being cut-up in the torque converter, keeping the fluid cooler.)

Out of these 3 I went for the Synthetic ATF.
(Fitting an oil cooler was a bit of an expense and I was a bit nervous about adjusting the torque converter solenoid.)

Anyway, I changed to Amsoil Synthetic ATF.
According to their website it's suitable for the T4 and it handles temperature far better than non-synthetic fluids.
That was about two years ago (15,000 miles) and the van has ran fine. I must admit that the van was not as smooth as with the genuine VW fluid, but it wasn't bad. If anything it seemed a bit more positive.

I still think that the cooler has to be worth a go, so when I get funds released from the missus I'll definitely give it a go. Think I'll leave off the fan and shut off valve though.

I'd also love to do the full Sonnax solenoid mod that you had a thread on while back, just not sure that I'll ever get round to it.

G
Old 23-06-09, 13:36
VWT4 Forum Administrator

Those temps are crazy! The Sensor for the oil temp through the Vagcom is located in the torque converter itself, so gives a very good readout on not only the oil temperature but the actual compenent temperature.

You could hook up the relay is you were a bit of a boffin on this sensor, but that kind of wizardry would cost time and money.

There is a unit called the "scangaugeII" which is a great gadget for hooking up and getting all sorts of codes etc, including oil sensors, not bad money either Price: 158

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/

Tags
automatic gearbox, automatic transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in