Old 10-02-15, 20:16
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: VW T4 1.9TD any good?

nothing wrong with the 1.9td engine just bought one v reg widow van cruised 65/70 back home 255 miles oh and 20k miles came up as I passed taunton how low miles is that fsh 1 owner .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-15, 20:17
Lord of the T4s

I mean window van
Old 11-02-15, 13:53
Van Jedi

It wasn't the cruising about in my 1.9td that was an issue, it's the fact there's no acceleration.. It's annoying to drive after a while. Driving 300miles on motorway was fine, driving round town up hills, back roads, stopping at lights and accelerating back to speed etc got frustrating. Yeh it was better than my last non turbo, and I could 'live with it' but why should you? Get the right one first time.. Or like has been said conv to golf tdi at a later date.. Might be more costly in the long run though that. My tdi converted t4 drives so well now, 46mpg on my last fill and cruise control is a god send! I don't mind getting in it to drive around town, Infact I make excuses just to take it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-15, 15:33
Lord of the T4s

T4 Post Icon Re: VW T4 1.9TD any good?

often poor acceleration is down to throttle cable sticking. just had mine changed today now full throttle range ..
Old 11-02-15, 16:00
Van Jedi

I know yeh, it can do, happened in my non turbo that.. wasnt that though. It ran well to be fair, 90k miles only. Loaded up with Jetski and a week of camping stuff round Devon, there was one hill I didn't think it'd be getting up! Night and day between tdi and td for general driving about imo
Old 11-02-15, 16:17
Van Pro

I've had a 1.9td had 120,000 on it with fsh when I bought it. Great van didn't think was that slow sat at 70mph no problem. Was decent on the fuel too. So yeah I would say they are good.
Old 11-02-15, 16:59
Van Jedi

my 1.9 td had 182,000 on original engine when i bought it. So must be ok i guess?

That said, I got it cheap as the bottom end had exploded.

I swapped it to a Golf 1Z tdi engine, and its damn quick. cruises at 70 all day happily and returns 40+mpg on a run.
Mega reliable, and ive had two motorbikes and tools in the back and you cant even tell they are there. The gearing on the t4's are quite loose in comparison to t5's. So weight doesnt seem to be a problem...
Mines a 800 special but has the caravelle gearbox option from factory with a longer fifth.

The only problem mine has is the rear ride level is effected easily due to the light load 800 springs. Easily fixed with heavy weight springs but the plated weight is still low so my insurance is too
Old 11-02-15, 19:50
Van Pro

When I first bought my 1.9td it must have been the slowest thing on earth due to the fact that nothing was set up correctly a bit of time spent getting it set up right plus decat & egr blank it's supprising just how good it is but it still could do with a bit more & a taller 5th gear
Old 11-02-15, 21:03
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: VW T4 1.9TD any good?

if you think 1.9 was slow. Think of us poor 2.4D drivers. Slow is the new fast
Old 12-02-15, 06:18
Van Guru

Had my 1.9TD over 18 months. Fully converted in the back; bed, cupboards, etc . Did the boost and fuelling mod after 3-4 months of ownership. This transformed the way it drove generally, could get up hills without dropping loads of speed. It's my daily driver too and handles the 20+ mile a day commute. It's not as fast as our Golf PD130- But I can't make a brew in the Golf . Never regretted buying my 1.9TD. Ant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in