Old 30-06-15, 14:00
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Velle LWB lowering job

Hi knowledgeable Spring gurus,

Bit confused after looking on here and on T4RUS site for some lowering springs and shocks,

Is it a good idea to buy an adjustable spring lowering kit? Can's find anyone on the pics page saying they have doen this so not usre if this is cool to do.

I have been told 40mm lower is good, but on the T4RUS site it says my 99 Velle is already a different height to early ones i.e.higher so a 40mm kit will only make a 20mm difference.

Now my 130k original suspension handles liek a boat on the country lanes around my house in Devon so looking to stiffen it up a bit and lower it at the same time. It has a Multivan seat fitted and i am trying to knock up a small pod out of a single seat base. It is a twin slider so limited on space. I am keeping the double seat up front, but it will not be too heavy, i hope although being a LWB Velle it already is packing some pounds. It sits on 15inch original VW allys at the mo.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Dippy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-06-15, 14:39
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Velle LWB lowering job

you would be better off going for

45mm vogtland or eibach springs,also H&R are worth a look and some meyle gas shocks all round....sachs hd might be a little too harsh for you

Check out the daily work log and offers
https://www.facebook.com/SC-VW-Customs-279061842150643/
Old 01-07-15, 08:22
Van Pro

Thanks for the reply. I assume from what people have said that 45mm is about as low as you go before you start having issues with the standard setup of the vans suspension (things rubbing, no suspension on the bumps). I think I will go Vogtland on ebay "VW T4 Vogtland lowering suspension springs + 5 mm spring shims" and maybe Sach again on ebay "2X SACHS SHOCK ABSORBER OIL PRESSURE SUPER TOURING FRONT VW TRANSPORTER BUS T4" How do you know whether they are HD? It really is soft at the moment and having owned a Syncro for a bot, i really noticed the difference previously when switching to the Velle. The Meyre shock are half the price of the Sach though which is pretty good, so still not completely sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-15, 08:57
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Put on a set of sachs HD recently in my old van - think it was the first time the shocks had been changed in its 13 year life. What a difference. i would vote for sachs all the way.

I have also been told by many mechanics to not lower the van more that 40 - 45 mm as the ride does get harsher. Not done this myself yet as the shocks have made quite a difference cornering. No more wallowing round corners.

You can get the sachs shocks on a deal here from SKS with a forum discount for around 160 delivered if I remember rightly. Nice guys too.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 01-07-15, 13:26
Van Pro

Thanks for that. Yes I think I will go Sach HD front and back (SKS 164~) with 45mm Eibach Pro (Brickwerks 185~) and keep my fingers crossed my fillings dont come out on the North Devon single track roads. Might have to check my tire pressure are not too high.

Then i just need to read up on how to fit them and what spanner i need for the suspension nut on the front.
Old 01-07-15, 17:34
Van Master Jedi

have a word with richard at bluebird customs he's very helpful with advise without pushing you into a purchase http://www.bluebirdcustoms.com
Old 01-07-15, 18:54
Van Pro

Thanks,

I have bitten the bullet now and gone for it with Brickwerks and SKS, so will post the results once done. Brickwerks suggested going for a ARB upgrade which seems a tad OTT, certainly would make it less likely to roll. Any people got any views on whether they are worth the 500 upgrade?
Old 01-07-15, 22:05
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Velle LWB lowering job

just an opinion, but if you go for the arb upgrade, you need to have both back and front. its also advised that you go for uprated torsion bars. haven't done this as wanted to see what the shocks did before spending any more money.

on the front shocks i think i needed something like a 15mm and 17mm sockets and a breaker bar to loosen some of them. get some plus gas for the back as they can be a bitch to loosen up. tops were easy on back, but bottoms needed two gos with plus gas.

if you need to be sure, i can check on tools.
Old 02-07-15, 04:26
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Front
18mm top shock mount bolts
21mm lower shock bolt
16mm or 17mm top shock nut on the mounting plate

Rear
18mm top bolt
16mm or 17mm bottom depending on shocks fitted

27mm very deep for torsion bolts

Hope that helps

Check out the daily work log and offers
https://www.facebook.com/SC-VW-Customs-279061842150643/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in