Old 05-12-08, 16:33
Serial Poster

Default Re: 1.9 PP thread

egt gauges are good in my opinion , they tell you a lot about what your engine is doing if you actualy no what to look out for .

a decent egt gauge is not going to be cheap though i am planing to run a sard egt gauge on mine when i ever get time and my van back i will try get time to do it but not realy instrested in tunning a engine that is never going to make power so ma not bother .

only acruate way of getting a reading is to have 4 individual probes in each runner , some pepole tap the turbo to mount one but there called egt for a reason and only true way of getting good reading .

there not cheap though for a decent one and the one i have saved my car engine on numrous ocashions , **** me right up though when on 2.4bar boost and blew every probe out the manifold down to presure and started flashing red and alarm going i got worried and was on motorway at time with no hard shoulders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-03-09, 02:06
Van Rookie

Found an EGT kit for 28 at http://www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/i...d&productId=35, they also have matching boost gauge for 23.

Googling the p/no LED 52708WH they seem to be made by Ruian Kangertai Automobile Parts Co., Ltd.... never heard of them and not much else on the net!

Wondered if there was any way to use the fuel/ air ratio meters they have to improve max fuel setup?
Old 16-03-09, 19:01
Van Master Jedi

All this power talk ! have people forgot theyre driving a 2ton van? chill...cruise on by a little....take it easy!. Saying that, I decatted mine blocked the EGR...average....then removed the vac hose and blocked both ends after making sure the valve was shut and bingo! it goes like a cut cat....but i still prefer to cruise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-03-09, 19:57
Van Rookie

it's not the swooshing I want it for...it's just a bit of a pain when you're going up and down some hills... particularly Northern Scotland.

Worst I had was being stuck behind a Range Rover pulling a caravan... I'd struggle to keep up 40 or so going up the hills- he had no probs. Then going down he'd have to slow down for control whereas I wanted a wee bit of speed to get back up the other side!

Don't need to go for the 2.5 but the extra boost from upping fuel and increasing boost has made a big difference... all I need now is the EGT gauge to see if I'm cooking the engine!
Still looking at/ considering the intercooler, removing cat isn't on cards for now as I put a new exhaust on about 2 years ago.

Has anyone fitted an exhaust gas temp gauge? The turbo gauge was easy but I take it I need to drill the manifold between the engine and turbo to fit this? Bought an oil temp gauge to go with it for extra safety....!
Old 18-03-09, 22:41
Van Rookie

Has anyone fitted an EGT gauge and if so where did you put the pyrometer probe?

s'pose it's too much to expect a pre-drilled hole on the turbo inlet...
Old 18-03-09, 23:17
Serial Poster

the probe wants fitting into one of the runners on the manifold or turbo tapping ,

which ever make sure the part is removed from the engine and no steel shavings go into the turbo or engine .
Old 19-03-09, 07:56
Lord of the T4s

you guys are great ive taken every thing in and jobs a gooden shes a flyer
Old 10-03-16, 07:14
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: 1.9 PP thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crftom View Post
project power is nearly finish ive finally upped the boost and fueling on my 1.9td after reading loads of posts on pug 306 td tuning forums and them saying how easy it was i decided not to pay 175 pounds for somone else to do it, i pritty much follow there instructions increasing the max fuel screw 20 degrees at a time until a small amount a of black smoke off turbo can be seen, then upped the boost on the turbo by shortening the actuator arm by about 5m from 10 psi to 15psi

it drives so much better, it will now pull from 50mph in fifth gear up hill
almost feels like driving a 2.5tdi, iam well pleased with the outcome

tom
Mine is a VWT4 1.9TD 1997 Tom. Just had it Terracleaned and it helps a lot. Can I do the same things you done to mine and will it make a difference?

Tags
1.9td tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in