Old 10-11-15, 20:09
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Vacuum Pump Rebuild - Source For Part/Seal

For those who want to clean and rebuild their pushrod operated Pierburg vacuum pump, as described by other threads on here and elsewhere...

The replacement pushrod seal is very hard to find in the UK. Or at least it took me weeks on-and-off of searching. Maybe I used the wrong search terms. Eventually found one listed by maydayseals.co.uk . You're looking for a U-Ring (yes "U"-ring) sized 18 mm x 10 mm x 5.5 mm.

Mayday's stock number is (currently) SU18-10-5.5-P and it's 5 plus 4.50 P&P.

You'll also probably want to change the pump-to-head gasket. The main dealer supplied 075 145 117 C for my '02 2.5TDi . It appears slightly different from the original, but still looks like it will fit. There was a change to the gasket late 1996. Dealer price I paid was about half the best ebay price.

Total cost of parts is less than 20. Apart from that you'll need a T25 Torx, some old rag, an old 15mm socket, and an 11mm socket.

Tips:
  • When compressing the spring, don't put the other end of your compressor on the piston: it's light alloy and others have said they cracked it doing this. Rig something up so the compressor bears against the body of the pump.
  • Grind the end off the 15mm socket so that the 'teeth' are right at the end, not recessed. Then grind the outside down to make a cone. This will engage better into the pushrod's hex end.
  • I welded the modded 15mm socket to the middle of a bar, drilled two holes in the ends of the bar, stood the pump body on a piece of wood with a hole in the middle (to get a socket onto the 11mm nut) then used two threaded fasteners to pull the bar down onto the wood to compress the spring. Sounds complicated but took about 5 minutes to lash it up.
  • When you pull the top off the pump, do it really s-l-o-w-l-y. The gasket tends to stick and you don't want to tear it - replacements are not available. You can use the gaps beside each screw-hole to carefully lever the lid off with a screwdriver.
  • Take photos as you disassemble so you know where each valve goes. Note the valve underneath is held in by the spring and will fall out. Note which way round the old seal goes before you remove it.
  • The piston has a split ring on it which comes off as the piston leaves the bore. Watch out for it. Assembly is much easier than you might think, despite the ring.
  • Lubricate the rod and the piston with a little light oil on reassembly.
  • Others suggest replacing the pushrod. But, let's face it, if the pump didn't fill with oil we wouldn't take it off and so the rod would - like all the other cam followers in the engine - stay there until we fitted a new camshaft. So is it worth it? Is it a good idea to put a new follower on a bedded-in cam anyway? Your call.
Please post your successful (and failed) pump rebuilds here to inform and encourage others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-15, 20:51
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Vacuum Pump Rebuild - Source For Part/Seal

Maybe you could start a postal repair sideline............nice write up by the way.
Old 10-11-15, 21:22
Van Master Jedi

Thanks... was just pulling together lots of info from other threads and putting it in one place, together with the supplier info.

Yeah, thought about offering a service. But by the time I priced it to allow for the P&P both ways, the cost of parts, the cost of the occasional failure... I doubt the cost saving I could offer over a new pump would be attractive enough to offset the extended time the customer would have to wait while assorted couriers play van-football with their pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-16, 07:03
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Thank you for the link to the seal.

Do you have a link to the thread that explains its replacement?
Old 23-01-16, 09:27
Van Jedi

Could you locate the piston seal and o ring? I have tried but no such luck yet!
Old 23-01-16, 09:54
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybob View Post
Could you locate the piston seal and o ring? I have tried but no such luck yet!
On the French T4Zone website it says the piston seal is this one:

http://www.123roulement.com/joint-UT...X5.50-PU94.php
Old 23-01-16, 20:04
Van Jedi

Thanks but I mean the large seal and o ring! The piston ring if you like!
Old 23-01-16, 23:08
Van Guru

Thank for this thread i goingto keep watching this, I'll wait till some photos go up, because I'm as mechanically minded as a ape wearing boxing gloves

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in