Old 25-11-13, 10:39
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon will 7.5j and 8.5j with 20mm adapters fit on my t4?

I am thinking about purchasing some 17inch bmw z3m alloys( style 68) fronts are 7.5j and rears 8.5j, i think the et is 31 but i will be using 20mm 5x112 to 5x120 adapters so cant see it being an issue to much on the front.

However, my question is, will i need a sliding door wedge if i am going to be running 8.5j with 20mm adapters on the rear and is it safe to run adapters on a van? They are made from aircraft aluminium and they have they are the same style as in the image below.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-11-13, 12:24
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: will 7.5j and 8.5j with 20mm adapters fit on my t4?

anyone know?

I dont want to buy them and for them not to fit or for the spacers not to be a safe idea...
Old 25-11-13, 13:27
Van Master Jedi

Most the wheel gurus will be along tonight but to give you an idea put your current wheels into an offset calculator such as this:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel...ulator#Results

Add in your new wheels but change offset to 11 to accommodate the 20mm spacer. That will tell you how much further your wheels will stick out. My guess is to far so wedge will be needed but not sure wheels will be legal - to much poke.

Hubcentric adaptors seem to be generally accepted for the vans but if your worried about safety Id question the load rating of the wheels themselves. A Z3 weighs a lot less than a van so again Id guess wheels wont be strong enough.

HTH

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-11-13, 13:58
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendwg View Post
Most the wheel gurus will be along tonight but to give you an idea put your current wheels into an offset calculator such as this:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel...ulator#Results

Add in your new wheels but change offset to 11 to accommodate the 20mm spacer. That will tell you how much further your wheels will stick out. My guess is to far so wedge will be needed but not sure wheels will be legal - to much poke.

Hubcentric adaptors seem to be generally accepted for the vans but if your worried about safety Id question the load rating of the wheels themselves. A Z3 weighs a lot less than a van so again Id guess wheels wont be strong enough.

HTH

Ben
Thanks for your reply.

Im sure youre right, but going to be looking at them after work so i may or may have not bought them by the time the wheel gurus come online...

I have just tried that offset calculator and i guess outer position is how much poke there will be from the arch to the edge of the wheel? If this is the case then on an 8.5j wheel with an et31 with 20mm adapters bring it down to et11 they are going to stick out 30mm on the rears?

The load rating is 650kg per wheel which i am happy with as the last wheels i had were this and they were more than upto the job without damaging them etc and they werent genuine where as these BMW ones are
Old 25-11-13, 14:39
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

20mm adapters will make them

Fronts: 7.5J ET11
I ran 8J ET11 and they stuck out the arch about 25mm... Reckon with a bit of stretch, you may be ok

Rears: 8.5J ET11
Reckon they'll also have a fair bit of poke but you may be ok with stretched tyres. Will need a wedge on sliding door too from Colese at SC VW Customs. My 8J ET11s rubbed the sliding door so 8.5J will probably block it

Last edited by t4 Zimbo; 25-11-13 at 14:41.
Old 25-11-13, 15:01
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4 Zimbo View Post
20mm adapters will make them

Fronts: 7.5J ET11
I ran 8J ET11 and they stuck out the arch about 25mm... Reckon with a bit of stretch, you may be ok

Rears: 8.5J ET11
Reckon they'll also have a fair bit of poke but you may be ok with stretched tyres. Will need a wedge on sliding door too from Colese at SC VW Customs. My 8J ET11s rubbed the sliding door so 8.5J will probably block it
I dont like the idea of stretched tyres on a commercial, not sure if its a problem with xl tyres or not?

The rears i think should have 245/45/17 tyres but are fitted with 225/45/17 so they have a small bit of stretch and the fronts are fitted with the same...

Could i turn the adapters down on the fronts to about 10-15mm? so they poke out as much...
Old 25-11-13, 15:31
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Are the wheels a really good price or really nice and unique?

By the tie you get wheels+adapters+correct bolts (20 to attach adapters to hubs, 20 to attach wheels to van)+tyres+sliding door wedge, would it not be more economical to speak to simon (Colese on here) from SC VW Customs and get a great set of wheels with tyres that will fit and look sweet?

I just think you'll be running right on the limit of the law with that amount of poke, plus close when it comes to load rating...
Old 25-11-13, 20:13
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4 Zimbo View Post
Are the wheels a really good price or really nice and unique?

By the tie you get wheels+adapters+correct bolts (20 to attach adapters to hubs, 20 to attach wheels to van)+tyres+sliding door wedge, would it not be more economical to speak to simon (Colese on here) from SC VW Customs and get a great set of wheels with tyres that will fit and look sweet?

I just think you'll be running right on the limit of the law with that amount of poke, plus close when it comes to load rating...
I know exactly what you mean and since weighing up the cost it'll be pointless where as I could get a nice set for 400-500 like you say and need to worry about adapters etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in