Old 28-02-14, 09:41
Van Guru

T4 Post Icon power steering foaming fluid

Hi all. The fluid in the reservoir is foaming up whilst engine running. It has just had a new steering rack and pump. Although only foaming after the new pump. I've drained the new fluid from the pipes at the rack, then refilled, and turned lock to lock a few times, but still foaming. It's a 94 2.4. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-14, 13:00
Serial Poster

Default Re: power steering foaming fluid

How much ?
as you will get a certain amount of froth .
Old 28-02-14, 15:00
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Its got to push the air out and the new fluid in. Once foamed needs a chance to for bubbles to rise and fluid to settle. Presumably your seeing levels dropping as air works its way out ?
You need to be taking the steering from full lock to full lock a number of times to get the bulk of the air out of the way. Normally best done with front wheels in the air for ease of movement.

Possibility that pump is pulling air in at unsealed joint, but would not have thought that was likely and you'd probably see a leak.

You did use the green hydraulic fluid and not the green fairy fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-14, 06:49
Van Guru

I jacked it up and turned from lock to lock with engine off. Lots of air bubbling up.
Started it, still jacked, lock to lock again a number of times, still foaming. Stopped engine, turned lock to lock again, more air in system again.
Put it on the ground, drove it out, pump was noisy, and was foaming enough it started coming out the reservoir. Turned engine off, sprayed out the cap like a fountain.
Now the steering is heavy, noisy, and still foaming everywhere.
Used the decent hydraulic fluid and also a new belt.
The noise and foaming only came after the new pump.
Old 01-03-14, 07:32
Van Jedi

whilst i havent got an answer for you i am following this thread with interest, i am about to change my pas pump on a 1.9 td.
do you need to prime the dry pump when you fit it and then fill the reservoir or just fit and fill before running.
will the system self bleed or do i need to bleed the supply lines to the rack, as it appears that if your pump is noisy (assuming its new) that it has an airlock rack side or a non return valve is not operating forcing the pressure to the rack back up to the reservoir.
Old 05-03-14, 09:54
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

I think my next steps/thoughts would be in line with the suggestions from Para above.

If its blocked / restricted then the pump is simply going to spin in the fluid and cause overheating, froth and back pressures.

Sounds like it must be restricted though as you seem to suggest that you had power assist but have now lost it?

I'm suspecting its strip it all down again to check that nothing has got in when it shouldn't have. check hoses are on the right way around if they contain any one-way valves, and no kinks anywhere.

Sorry cannot suggest more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in