Old 16-03-14, 21:19   #1
Replacement steering wheel, write-up
DebtMan DebtMan is offline 16-03-14, 21:19

Nothing special here, just a bog standard (non airbag) T4 Caravelle wheel being removed and replaced. Reasons were that it was quite tatty and the outer had 'de-bonded' from the inner at the top of the wheel, so that it twisted and rotated on the inner, bit of a pain, despite being quite therapeutic

So, first things first and safety first, disconnect the battery. I gotta be honest here, I didn't, but only cuz I wanted to test the horn button before assembling everything....but you should, by rights.

Next, prise off the existing wheel centre push pad. Mine came off with only my finger tips, no need for screwdrivers or anything here, this brings you to this...

And a close-up of the centre...you can see the existing wiring connections here for the standard horn

And here a close-up of the positive and negative wiring connections...

So to get the steering wheel itself off....my lowly 1/4" drive socket set didn't have a big enough socket. Rummaged around in my older tools and found, quite unbelievably, a 15/16" socket and extension bar to get it off....

Once the wheel was off, you can see the contact spring for the existing horn. The new boss has a ring the same as the OE wheel for this to rub along

The new boss.....only has one wire. The outer rubber cover comes off but you don't need to unless you keep dropping the steering wheel nut like I did Note the threaded holes...more on those in a bit

Two pics of the contact ring now...

So, you need to take the wheel apart. Needed a 2.5mm allen key to undo these. Turns out only two of them attached the chrome trim here to the wheel, the others are just for show.....be nice if there was instructions to tell you that BEFORE you whip out the wrong ones

Once the trim is off, you are presented with this...which just pulls off the horn push

Here you go...there are two contacts...dunno why really when there is only one wire, but I'm guessing other boss kits may have two wires. I've attached the wire here too.

I had a look at the 'instructions' but couldn't figure out which was applicable.....what do you think??

There weren't any screws with the kit - bit of an oversight - fortunately I had some countersunk M5 machine screws that suited and decided to run them through all the holes to clear out the paint...

Steering wheel fastened in place, the horn has a contact spring that needs to contact the previously shown contact ring in a particular place. Once the wire was attached to the horn spade contact, it kinda stuck out a bit, so that bit angled in first, then a bit of manipulation was needed to get the contact spring in place too, but it was very minimal...

So, once the horn is in, the leather (leatherette??) trim goes back on and the chrome trim keeps it in place. Et voila, the finished article....

Looks good I think

Cheers
DM
DebtMan
Van Guru
Views: 5237
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Replacement steering wheel, write-up
17-03-14, 08:20 #2
wrongvanman
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Great thread.

20-03-14, 07:28 #3
DebtMan
Van Guru

Ta very much

20-03-14, 15:20 #4
wrongvanman
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

How comfy is that steering wheel.

Been looking myself.

Was thinking about using their snap off boss

24-03-14, 21:22 #5
DebtMan
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongvanman View Post
How comfy is that steering wheel.

Been looking myself.

Was thinking about using their snap off boss
It's not at all bad tbh. Smaller than the original but seems more style than substance in a way, thumb bar position is slightly different than I'm used to.... My Alfa wheel is more comfy in all honesty.....I had a look at them on eBay today but they're mostly multifunction and/or airbag equipped. My old Phase 1 205GTi wheel was supremely comfy

31-03-14, 22:30 #6
DebtMan
Van Guru

Sorry about the delay. Tried to post a reply a few times via my mobile but apparently submitted twice in succession and had to wait for the mods to approve, something that obviously didn't happen...

So, comfy?? Well kinda....not UNcomfy. Definitely smaller than the original wheel, a bit on the firm side though I imagine it will break in after a bit. The brushed steel bit in the middle is very tactile. Obviously makes the turning circle a bit quicker, ie. less movement at the wheel but I guess a corresponding increase in the effort needed to turn it but it's not significant. Driving with it though, no problems at all. There are a few lumps/bumps for gripping purposes and the obvious thumb positions at 3 & 9 o'clock....for me, these ideally needed to be at 10 & 2 o'clock, but that's more to do with driving as part of my job and the training they drum in to you so it becomes a habit.

The wheel in my Alfa 156 is mega comfy, though doesn't look like it should be, more comfy than this wheel, but again is a big one like the original T4 wheel

HTH
DM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in