Old 16-06-08, 05:45  
Replacing Steering Wheel on 1990-96
SteveGL SteveGL is offline 16-06-08, 05:45

Here is a how to guide to fitting a large hole spline vw steering wheel to your 1990-96 T4.
I own a 1992 T4 caravelle GL and this is exactly how I fitted the replacement wheel.
If your steering wheel is like mine and has totally de glued itself from the inner frame around the top or just want to upgrade, read on.

Early mk2 golfs, polos, jettas etc have the same small hole splines as early T4's. I have heard they fit but the horn
and indicator cancelling does not work, an adaptor needs to be made so the horn and indicator cancelling reaches.
Later vw's used a bush which is basically an adaptor that has the small spines internally with large dia splines on the outside.
This means a late mk2 golf gti steering wheel (as I have used here) fits fine and the horn and indicator cancelling still work.

1st thing you need to find is a late mk2 golf or early mk3 golf(Jetta, Corrado etc from the same era 1990's), this should have the required bush that you will need.

I found a 1990 (H reg) mk2 golf gti in my local breakers, and this is how I removed the bush.
Remove the steering wheel, to expose the bush, as shown here.

Next it might be a good idea to remove the stalks to make it easier to get the puller on the bush.

There is not much of a lip to put the puller legs on so a good quality puller is a must.
Some bushes litterally fall off and some are very stubborn, all down to luck, mine was not too hard to remove.

Here is a picture of the removed bush, unfortunately its too long so some will have to be removed from the end.

The shortened bush, I have very carefully hacksawn and filed flat and level the end so the bush is approx 33-34mm
long total length.

Next remove your steering wheel from your T4, and clean off the splines.
Put a small amount of copper slip grease on the splines to aid removal in the future. (You never know!)
Locate the bush on the splines ensuring its the correct way round, and using a couple of washers as packing, fit and do up the
steering wheel centre fixing nut to insert the bush fully onto your column.

This is what it should look like after the bush is fully home.

Thats it, you are ready to install your new steering wheel.
This is the gap I have to the steering colum covers, about 3mm approx, as you can see the horn contact is touching correctly.

I had to put a thick (3mm) washer the same diameter as the steering wheel centre locking nut under the centre fixing nut so the nut is clamping onto the steering wheel correctly.

So in summary, 15 for the bush and a tidy late Golf gti mk2 steering wheel.
15 and a couple of hours one afternoon well spent.
I chose this steering wheel because its chunkier, a bit smaller (360mm dia) and keeps the factory look.

Hope this helps and inspires owners of early T4's to get rid of that old, de-glued or just plain large standard wheel.
Cheers.
Steve.

Last edited by SteveGL; 16-06-08 at 05:58..
SteveGL
Van Pro
Official MemberVW Transporter
Views: 8499
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Re: Replacing Steering Wheel on 1990-96
12-04-14, 21:41 #11
joseph1972
Van Pro

Anybody got a pic of the vw part that's mentioned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in