Old 29-07-16, 21:07
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Rear nearside brake sticking on

So, I had a problem with the rear caliper seizing on and the wheel getting exceptionally hot/squealing. I cleaned the caliper up, made sure the pads could move freely etc, re-assembled. Same problem, actually a bit worse. Suspected the caliper - looked like it had had a seal kit by previous owner. Fitted a new caliper today and still have the problem. It's not so bad now - the wheel just gets warm - but still warmer than all the other wheels. I have checked the handbrake cable and it's slack enough so that it wouldn't be leaving the brake on. I'm just totally stumped now. It's only this wheel that's a problem - all others fine. What have I missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-16, 07:59
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Rear nearside brake sticking on

Did you take apart the slider pins?

If not polish these with a good chrome /metal polish and remove all traces of polish.

Apply copper slip grease.

Reassemble.
Old 30-07-16, 09:29
Van Man

Thanks. i did take the sliders out and re-grease them - they weren't in great condition though. I'll revisit them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-07-16, 19:41
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

I use a whit ceramic grease for the slider pins. Copper grease tends to dry out and the pins get stuck again after a few months.
Old 30-07-16, 20:05
Van Man

Well, I cleaned the sliders up, re-greased, re-assembled, half hour test run and it's still hot. Took it all apart again and have noticed that the pads have uneven wear. They are worn at a slant. I think this could be the issue. The wheel bearing is fine and disc seems fine too, although a bit grooved. I suspect that the old caliper was seized at a slight angle and previous owner free'd the caliper, used a seal kit, but then re-used the same pads... so now they're trying to run flat above the surface, when actually they're not flat and so causing friction. I'll pay a visit to Halfords tomorrow and hope that they have some pads in stock. Need to get some quick as we're going to Wales on monday.
Old 05-09-16, 21:10
Van Jedi

Sometimes the rubber brake hoses can collapse internally and cause a flap which wont allow the brake fluid to flow back and so the calliper wont release all the way.
Old 17-09-16, 13:11
Van Master Jedi

not to pop your bubble but pads that don't make good contact should still not drag unless something else is amiss. the auto adjust can be fussy on the rears. did you back in the calips properly (turning and pushing not just turning)?. Also in another recent thread it was discovered that the auto adjust in the rears was contaminated and causing the pads to drag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in