VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Hand brake issue

896 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  manwithtool 
#1 ·
My handbrake isn;t working very well. You pull on the lever and although it goes firm it doesn't grip. I had a look underneath and one side the arm on the calliper is hitting the calliper stop. I thought these things self adjusted ? Can I remove the arma dn re fit in a different position ? Or maybe theres a ratchet system in side and I need to release it and re fit the cable ?

Anyone any ideas ? They are both new Callipers although ebay specials. They seemed to work at first and are not seized. They've been on for maybe 3 months, seems as the pads wear the hadnbrake isn''t taking up the slack.
Any ideas ?

#2 ·
I did a quick google and found a video on Youtube although for a T5 I think. The same calipers are used on lots of VAG cars.

Anyway, it looks like when I fitted the calipers I should have pumped them out and bled them before fitting the cable....Or slacken the cable right off before taking the slack out of the cable.

I slackened the cable off and the arms on the calipers now sit near the fully off position which I believe means they will now self adjust properly. I had them too far "on" they weren't binding but they weren't going far enough off to adjust.

Well they're no better just yet but I'll give it some time and see if they do adjust themselves up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.