Old 20-01-14, 15:51  
How To Fit Late Model VW Steering Wheels to Post '96 Vans
snedboy snedboy is offline 20-01-14, 15:51

I though I'd post this as questions about changing steering wheels come up so often

First off to clear up any misunderstanding ALL T4s CAME WITH 17mm SPLINES at the top of the steering column. If you've got 27mm splines on you're steering column then you've already got the adapter fitted

The adapter I used, VW part No. 191 419 514, fits the following vehicles. So in theory steering wheels from these vehicles should fit on your van, if you use the adapter

Polo Mk3 94/01
Golf Mk2 01/88-10/88
Golf Mk3
Golf Mk4
Jetta 01/88-10/88
Scirocco 84-11/88
Corrado 89-95
Caddy 83-88
Skoda Superb 2009
Audi A4
Audi A6

There are plenty of others that fit i just nicked this list off the VW Heritage site. If anyone has a more comprehensive list pm me and I'll add it

I decided to do something about my steering wheel, it had the usual T4 problem of having come unglued from the inner ring.

My mate Richy was breaking a Polo and I liked the look of the wheel so I bought an adapter from VW, it's part No. 191 419 514,

Richy advised me to get rid of the airbag as my van doesn't use one

After removing the airbag I made a cover from hardboard, then sprayed expanding foam in through one of the gaps to fill the cavity. The foam takes the place of the missing airbag so the front of the wheel keeps it's shape

Heres the adapter, should be about a tenner from VW (that part number again 191 419 514)

With the new wheel and adapter fitted this is the gap you're left with

I decided to mate the Polo and T4 horn rings together, after trimming the indicator cancel tab off the Polo ring I screwed and glued the T4 ring to the bottom of the Polo ring (make sure the T4 cancel tab is in the right position) I used the watering can spout to center the two rings.....nice

You can just make out the ends of the three screws holding the two parts together. I tightened the screws until the plastic just started to bend, cut the tips off with side cutters and then unscrewed them 'till they sat flush. Screw through from the T4 ring into the Polo ring

T4 horn wire connected to Polo horn buttons

Now the Polo ring clips to the Polo wheel and the T4 ring connects the horn and cancels the indicators just like it used to. All I need now is a cover to hide it all.

Looking good though it does obscure the dials a wee bit. I'm just glad to see the back of that cack T4 wheel (excellent mod this)

https://www.facebook.com/WHAMCARSRETRO/?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by snedboy; 22-01-18 at 10:57..
snedboy
Serial Poster
Regional Coordinator
Views: 9367
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Re: How To Fit Late Model VW Steering Wheels to Post '96 Vans
20-09-18, 02:08 #11
filmshoot
Van Guru

Oddly enough 191 419 514 keeps giving me a 17to26mm adapter on google.
But I do indeed need a 17to27mm

Also has anyone got their horn and airbag working too in their t4 conversion?

...just tapped out with a thumb or 2, please don't mind the abbreviations and grammatical faults.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: How To Fit Late Model VW Steering Wheels to Post '96 Vans
20-09-18, 07:39 #12
scruffytoo
More than a little van obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmshoot View Post
Oddly enough 191 419 514 keeps giving me a 17to26mm adapter on google.
But I do indeed need a 17to27mm

Also has anyone got their horn and airbag working too in their t4 conversion?

...just tapped out with a thumb or 2, please don't mind the abbreviations and grammatical faults.
The 191 419 514, was just a lucky find for a T4, as it's an original early Caddy and car part. So I guess any variation you may need will also be a lucky find too; unless someone is specifically manufacturing them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in