Old 02-03-15, 20:15
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Disconnecting gas option on 3 way fridge

I have an elecrolux RM4217 3 way Fridge, but I do not want to use it on gas and as I have young Grandchildren I don't want them to be able to play around with the Gas tap.

I have closed off the Gas connection to the fridge (basically replaced the T connector that split the gas between the stove and the fridge with an elbow so that only the stove is connected), is anyone aware of any issues with the doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-15, 20:19
Serial Poster
Regional Coordinator

Default Re: Disconnecting gas option on 3 way fridge

it will be fine but will only work properly (efficiently) with a mains hook up as the 12v side of things on a 3way is not great,gas is the best method of cooling ,why blank the gas part out etc
if they did play with the gas tap no gas should come out as most have a thermocouple (yours does i checked) to turn of gas if no heat/flame is present in case the wind blew a flame out etc

vw t4 autodata service repair manual 2.5
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...814610E8%21688

brooklands service repair manual 1990-1995 all models
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...814610E8%21787

Last edited by karlos; 02-03-15 at 20:22.
Old 03-03-15, 09:42
Van Rookie

Thank you, Will re-consider connecting the gas. But still don't like the idea of Gas in a van overnight etc plus at it is an ancient van/fridge not sure if it will work anyway, but I will give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-15, 09:16
Van Rookie

OK, I have reconnected the Gas and it lights and appears to work, though it doesn't seem to make things very cold, after an hour it has got the temperature down to just above freezing in the ice box - should I expect more or is this about right?

Is there a trick here, do you get the fridge really cold using the 240V hook up before setting out?
Is it safe to use the gas to keep the fridge cold while you are motoring to your destination?

I still can't get the fridge to run off 12 Volt and have the lights in the back of the van working (the wiring was a mess and despite 2 days of testing I cant find a combination of connecting the wires that allows both fridge and lights to work off the auxiliary battery at the same time!!!

Any (sensible) advice will be much appreciated !
Old 04-03-15, 09:24
Van Jedi

If your fridge has got it that cool within just an hour on gas then it's doing pretty well - they take a while to get going (the coolant has to circulate).

The 12 volt system should be wired so that it will only work when the engine is running - therefore when the alternator is providing the power, not the battery which would be run flat within a few hours as fridges take quite a few amps.
Old 04-03-15, 15:13
Van Master Jedi
I Support Macmillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMayFly View Post
OK, I have reconnected the Gas and it lights and appears to work, though it doesn't seem to make things very cold, after an hour it has got the temperature down to just above freezing in the ice box - should I expect more or is this about right? Yes, sounds about right

Is there a trick here, do you get the fridge really cold using the 240V hook up before setting out? Yes
Is it safe to use the gas to keep the fridge cold while you are motoring to your destination? NO - it should be run on the 12v whilst the engine is running as it draws approx. 8 amps.

I still can't get the fridge to run off 12 Volt and have the lights in the back of the van working (the wiring was a mess and despite 2 days of testing I cant find a combination of connecting the wires that allows both fridge and lights to work off the auxiliary battery at the same time!!! The fridge should be connected via a relay so that it only works on the 12v whilst the engine is running

Any (sensible) advice will be much appreciated !
Hi TroutMayFly

I have put some responses to your questions above in red . As Karlos has already has been pointed out, the gas is safe if is blown out or turned off. If you are really worried about using the gas (the fridges are quite safe), get yourself a CO2 detector to give you peace of mind

Regards

Trevor
Old 07-03-15, 06:15
Serial Poster
Regional Coordinator

was this fridge in van before does it have a flue kit to let co2 exit the van normally see a vent in side of van

vw t4 autodata service repair manual 2.5
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...814610E8%21688

brooklands service repair manual 1990-1995 all models
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...814610E8%21787

Tags
3 way fridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in