Old 18-01-11, 19:42
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

T4 Post Icon quad bike trx400ex

hi all, anyone had any experiance in putting an off road bike or quad bike on the road, looking at honda trx400ex for summer and would want to used it on the road to go to work from time to time, could buy a road registered one already sorted or an off road only one for a lot less money, just wondeing how much work would be involved in getting it road registered,, i know dealing with dvla isnt a walk in the park as read some of the pannel van to campervan threds on here, but what would be the beat way to go about it...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlCWAkWJMMk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-01-11, 21:40
Van Guru

Default Re: quad bike trx400ex

Hi,

Think you have to contact the manufacturer to determine the year by providing the frame and engine number. Once received you can get the vehicle MOT'ed on the frame number. Make sure you add all the appropriate lights, indicators etc (unless you only want a daytime MOT). You can then get insured based on the frame number but this normally only lasts for two weeks max. DVLA will want to see the vehicle and will want to see all your documents, e.g. certificate of year, MOT and insurance. Make sure you arrange to see the DVLA before the two weeks expires otherwise the insurance company will not validate your cover. Once the DVLA are happy you will be provided with the appropriate registration documents.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark
Old 18-01-11, 22:23
Serial Poster

As above really ant,

Other than getting insurance with no reg number can be hard i found. Not many places want to do it just of the frame number. Or the ones which did were expensive so you couldnt use the cheapest quote.

Dont need indicators, But other lights needed for normal MOT (not daytime) Horn needed too.

Dont forget you may have to swap tyres for road legal ones, can be another cost.

Thats about all i can remember as it was a few years ago now.

Cheers Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-01-11, 21:21
Van Guru

We used to go toms farm on our quads and i had a yamaha blaster which wanted to get road legal but it was a whole load of hassle so got ridd and bought a Suzuki Ltz 400 "56 plate" relentless,great fun fully road legal... only pain is keeping it secure so may be getting ridd of it soon..been a great quad though as mate has one also...but the vans taking over now
Old 20-01-11, 08:48
Serial Poster

T4 Post Icon Re: quad bike trx400ex

Quads are a great bit of kit, on and off the road. Potentially you can get an off road rig, road legal can be the cheaper option but! like stated above- I can be a nightmare. Maybe it's worth looking at getting a second hand road legal one of the bay or anywhere else on the internet.
May have another look myself as I've been on and off the thought of it for a good 6 months now. hahaha.
Old 21-01-11, 15:48
More than a little van obsessed
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzy71 View Post
hi all, anyone had any experiance in putting an off road bike or quad bike on the road, looking at honda trx400ex for summer and would want to used it on the road to go to work from time to time, could buy a road registered one already sorted or an off road only one for a lot less money, just wondeing how much work would be involved in getting it road registered,, i know dealing with dvla isnt a walk in the park as read some of the pannel van to campervan threds on here, but what would be the beat way to go about it...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlCWAkWJMMk
hi,my mates just done his a few months ago,could pass his number on if you want to quiz him.the off road bikes(crf/yz)etc were a bit of a nightmare,as exhausts/tyres/headlights/even ride height needed changing
from personal experience of having a crf supermoto road legal,the hardest part is securing the things
i had 3 attepts in 1 week to steal mine,806stealth had the same problem,and mates with quads also.we all reckond you get spotted and followed home,they give yr garage a look over,then try for it
a lot of us got shut of them,had a road bike after n never any issues(apart from speed fines)
seems off road stuff is easy to flog off,take plates etc off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in