Old 29-06-18, 14:02
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Re: Only Audi rims in here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.A.-LWB-GL View Post

Tires from 225-50-17 to 255-35-17 can be made to work.
I personally run 235-45-17's on my winter A8 wheels and 235-45-18 on my summer A8 wheels.
A good tire shop should be able to sort you out.

Good luck.
Post up some pics when you get them on!
Just wondering what specific tyres people have enjoyed on the 17inch 7.5 inch wide wheels?

From a size standpont, looks like a 225/55 would be the best match for rolling circumference. Any comments?

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-06-18, 14:57
More than a little van obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasshrie View Post
Just wondering what specific tyres people have enjoyed on the 17inch 7.5 inch wide wheels?

From a size standpont, looks like a 225/55 would be the best match for rolling circumference. Any comments?

Thanks-
Have run those without ANY issues, mine is standard factory lowered; and was not built for 16"+ wheels
Old 13-07-18, 08:31
Van Man

Default Re: Only Audi rims in here :)

Thanks scruffytoo -

It looks like I can find the 215/60/17 with a 100 Load rating locally (Toyos).
Is the 100T enough?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-07-18, 10:13
More than a little van obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasshrie View Post
Thanks scruffytoo -

It looks like I can find the 215/60/17 with a 100 Load rating locally (Toyos).
Is the 100T enough?

Thanks again
225 55 17 ................ online sellers like https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rs...&homologation= have lots of choices

But remember will give a speedo error, depending on what your vehicle was built with. Mine was reading about 4.7% under with 17's
Old 13-07-18, 13:04
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

I run 245/45 - 17 99LI on my Autec Ethos 17 x 7.5 rims.
Speedo is out by 4km/hr at 100kph....so reads about 4% low (According to GPS)
They are also "legal" in Norway (Load rating IS checked on the EU Kontrol/MOT)
2000 2.5TDi Window van, 7 seater.

Required load rating should be on your door frame panel.

I think 215s will look a little "skinny" on the wheels.

Norwegian roads are opposite to UK roads.....we don't have pot holes, we have ridges that rise up (up to 10cm high) in a sharp peak.
Never had a problem with the wheel/tyre combination, just a load "thump" and all 4 wheels leave the ground!

Last edited by Or_GazM; 13-07-18 at 13:12.
Old 17-07-18, 14:05
Van Man

Thanks scruff and Orgaz-

Here in Oz the roads vary from perfect to pot-holed with lots of ridges in construction zones, so looking for that thicker sidewall without the thick footprint that tracks.

Scruff, I like your recomendation and have found some Contis 225/55/17 with commercial load rating for ~$250AUD each. I think that's probably the way to go. There were some Yokos with a 101W rating for $179, but in the passenger vehicle range.

Does the T4 Caravelle need to have a commercially rated tyre? I don't recall that being an issue on the 2 previous Caravelle's I've had, although they were earlier mid-90s models.

Cheers and thanks again-
Old 17-07-18, 15:49
Full of Cr*p....
Official MemberVW Transporter

The Caravelle is a "passenger vehicle".

Load rating for the tyres is actually lower than for a 2 seater T4 van.

Here in Norway, it's classed as a "Bil" (car).
So is a van with "official" rear seats fitted.
Old 22-02-19, 03:00
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffytoo View Post
I'm not implying you are a jerk, I don't know who you are or what you do, no more than you know that about me.

I think playing 'fast and loose' for the sake of vanity, as so many would like to do, often needs to be questioned. I think you have in the past posted images of your T4 with both sets of wheels, the flat fives as you call them are not to be questioned.

The big problem comes when people think any old Audi wheel will do; or worse still, they unknowingly purchase 'lookie likies' and then they do collapse. I am sure there are more than dozens running the same or alternative Audi wheels, but load rating recommendations are there for a reason; whatever people may think.

The front end of heavier T4's carries a lot of weight, you then add to the driver, one or even two passengers, and maybe an additional battery under the bonnet; the forces on those wheels can be huge. I realise a lot of assumptions may be worst case scenario, but who wants to be involved in one of those. We also have roundabouts here, again the wheels are put under additional stress. You could go through life trouble free, then again you may not.

Look at all the T4's for sale in Germany for example, very very few of them are full of DIY camper, and a similarly small amount with wheels other than factory. I don't think it is because Germans are boring, but more that legislation almost outlaws such risk (compromise if you like) taking.

I hang out in the whole forum, in the hope my extensive knowledge within the motor industry, and over 26 years experience of owning and running T4's (not to mention a huge library of related information) may be of help to others. I also enjoying seeing what others are doing, I don't have all the answers, but am lucky I can get the correct ones .................. why do you hang out here???

As I always say, if the knowledge helps then great, if people chose to ignore it; it's not a problem for me either.

Finally in relation to the wheel bolts, it is true there are a couple of variations, mainly for wheels we do not see here. I have never tried fitting Audi wheels (that may come as no surprise to you), but I imagine mostly being 'car based' it is probable that bolts with a smaller 17mm head may be required; to give clearance, especially for an alloy wheel impact socket (even a thin wall one). A quality bolt with the correct radius seat, and thread length of course, should not compromise the wheel security.
Because it used to be fun to pop by every few months and see what nice Audi wheels people were running on their vans.
With no one ever coming back and saying that ______ Audi wheel they had run failed.
Now it's just a near pictureless tech thread...
Old 22-02-19, 03:36
Van Expert

Sorry!
Flippant response after a hard couple days...

Yes, I stand by what I said that it was fun to see what Audi wheels people were putting on their vans.
But no, people should not be running wheels that aren't appropriate.

carry on.
Old 03-04-19, 15:07
Van Pro

Some Audi rims on my van. Looks like it from Audi 5000 1983 (code 437601025D). Don't know why the previous owner put it there (wrong load index and everything else), but probably this topic explains why.

Tags
15", alloy, alloy wheels, audi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in