VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

passenger door lock problem

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  the cleaning bloke 
#1 ·
Hi I have a w plate 1.9td. When I bought the van it had no passenger side inside door handle but could easily be opened from the outside. Now all of a sudden it wont open from the outside either. When I turn the key in the lock the knob still goes up and down but the door wont unlock. I know I need a new inside handle but the problem with the lock is beyond me. Any ideas? It's due an MOT soon and I know it'll fail because of it. Many thanks in advance for your help. Dan

#5 ·
If you can get the door open may respond to a little loving lubricant as the latches do get stiff.

normally quite easy to change, remove door card/covering then you have access to the door interior and can catch the latch when you undo the fixing screws which are accessible from the outside. You should not need to force anything. its either screwed in or an interference fit.

#7 ·
Ours does similar - goes into that nowhere zone where the button goes up and the drops. Wind the window down, unscrew the pull knob and lever the black plastic cover plate out. If you look down the hole you will see the actuating rod. A small flat bladed screwdriver should have enough grip to push the rod toward the door jamb when you feel it clunk it should open on the key and from the inside latch. Ours fails when folk pull on the outer handle and I'm leaning over to pull the button up at the same time. My missus has learnt to stand where I can see her hands now after several choice exchanges LOL:

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.