Old 30-08-15, 20:58
Van Expert

Default Re: What's a petrol t4 like to drive

I have 2.0 petrol. sits on private motorway at 75-80 all day long no probs. Plus they are a lot easier to work on than diesel, not really much to go wrong with them and parts are cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-08-15, 21:11
Van Guru

I've got a caravan, would a 115ps petrol tow OK?
Old 31-08-15, 08:32
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: What's a petrol t4 like to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketyboo View Post
So can you get more umph! out of a petrol, you can't remap, can you?
Hey Tickety you still not a happy camper then??

Get a 180PS T5 and remap to 210 ................. that should warm up the tyres on yer caravan
Old 31-08-15, 12:29
Van Guru

Hi Scruffytoo. Just got back from cornwall, towed the caravan no problems at all. So I am a happy camper really. Think I would like a project. I've got the Multivan sorted now, but as it's pretty much OEM I'm a bit loathe to do much too it. I'd like to personalise a van and it seems wrong to do that to a Multivan, and could possibly devalue it. Friends say "It's your van, do what you like", but I think it might be a mistake.

In terms of what I've spent on it my Multivan is worth about 10,500 to me. I don't think it would be worth that to anybody else, so I'll keep it and enjoy for a while longer. See what happens.

So just looking and gathering info.

There do seem to be some really good quality vans at reasonable prices in Germany.
Old 31-08-15, 13:02
More than a little van obsessed

T4 Post Icon Re: What's a petrol t4 like to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketyboo View Post
Hi Scruffytoo. Just got back from cornwall, towed the caravan no problems at all. So I am a happy camper really. Think I would like a project. I've got the Multivan sorted now, but as it's pretty much OEM I'm a bit loathe to do much too it. I'd like to personalise a van and it seems wrong to do that to a Multivan, and could possibly devalue it. Friends say "It's your van, do what you like", but I think it might be a mistake.

In terms of what I've spent on it my Multivan is worth about 10,500 to me. I don't think it would be worth that to anybody else, so I'll keep it and enjoy for a while longer. See what happens.

So just looking and gathering info.

There do seem to be some really good quality vans at reasonable prices in Germany.
Glad you had a good time ................ did those Doka mirrors do the job OK?

Problem right now is the Euro has started to go a bit mad again! Low oil prices and the falling Chinese economy mean people are turning to the Euro as some sort of safe haven. So prices are rising again, but only on a 'relative' scale, so as you say there are sill some very well priced T4's (of all sorts up for) grabs.

If you stumble across a Multivan TD1 (151PS), Highline, Syncro in blue .................... IT'S MINE

With regards to your Multivan, my PERSONAL view on that, if I have not said already, I feel pretty standard is the way to keep it. Now of course people are right it is yours and you can do what you want. I have a nice spec on mine so it's easy for me to say, but with ALL the subtle (read pretty much invisible), mods you can do .............. it still looks pretty much like its VW Press photo from 1998! The value of yours or indeed even mine, is only what someone will pay for it at the time, and we can decide if that is enough or not. What you have spent is only what you wanted to, and also what made you happy to do so.

I must admit a 'little T4 project' is appealing, but quite honestly I'm getting a bit old for that now (been, seen and done projects for over 40 years now). Other than some VR6's, I never drove a small petrol T4, I can see some appeal. They are much less common certainly in the UK, but then we were really limited on T4 model choice, and surprisingly the larger majority of T4 production was in the earlier years anyway.

The choices you ultimately make will be personal, but as I have said before I would hate to be inside your head it must be a real rollercoaster ride
Old 31-08-15, 18:07
Van Guru

The Doka mirrors did an excellent job thanks. I think the roller coaster is coming close the end of the ride now, final curve before the end. I will probably try to sell my Multivan in the next week or so, but if it doesn't go for what I want I'm OK with that.

Like I say I'll just keep it and enjoy, but I will leave it as close to original as it is.

Cheers
Old 01-09-15, 11:51
Van Jedi

My 84PS 2.0 petrol does a decent job of pushing my heavy hi-top Auto-Sleeper along. The performance is strong enough and you get 25mpg or just above with 'sensible' driving. It's not a daily, but hasn't had a single problem in the 5+ years I've had it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in