VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

2.4D AAB Turbo Project

1M views 4K replies 227 participants last post by  julien4788 
#1 · (Edited)
2.4D AAB Turbo/PP3 Project

Been doing some research on here and other sites and decided to go down the Turbo route for my 2.4D AJA Engine :D

The T4 2.4D Transporter is now getting Turbo'd need abit more power and after driving the VRS for a week i need more power for towing with the T4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Bs...&lch=email&feature=em-comment_received&lcor=1

Any advice would be greatley appreciated especially part numbers for the Oil feed pipework.

The engine has 94k on the clock and is a good solid unit.

Been on the T4 Forum for a while and here's the link for a conversion one of the T4 Lads built.

http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/westfalia_california/Turbo_on_a_T4_2400D_aspirated_UK.htm

i have a Volvo V70 Exhaust manifold ready to go on

and a KKK K14 Turbo

just need a T4 ACV Inlet manifold now and downpipe and the major components are all there then.

after that its just the boost pipes and oil pipes.

Here's all the part No's

Manifold intake: 074 123 713

Exhaust manifold: 074 253 033K (Standard 2.5tdi - 074 253 033G)

Turbocharger: 074 145 701B (Stanard 2.5tdi - 074 145 701A)

Gaskets of the Manifold intake: 074 129 717

Gaskets of the Exhaust manifold: 028 129 589 B (are 5 pieces)

& also the gasket: 028 129 748

inlet intake manifold gasket 074 129 717
exhaust manifold gasket 5 piece 028 129 589 B
dipstick for oil dipstick gasket 046 145 757 A
KKK14 Turbocharger oring 030 121 119
Turbocharger oil line gasket 035 145 757 C
Friction Ring and Spring (For Manifold Downpipe to Manifold) 161-298-115
İnlet manifold EGR square gasket 028 129 748

Here's all the other items required too from other forum cheers !

The finished project will look like this finished project but with a intercooler mounted in the front panel.

See less See more
1 7
#433 ·
i like the look of that how noisey is it ? i was going to remove the centre box from mine and weld a straight pipe in its place just dont want something that is horribly noisey on the motorway

#435 ·
hi ya have done 300 miles in my veg burning turbo van now, have got the boost clamped off giving 1 bar max but thr fuel has only been turned in 1/2 turn 180 deg. any one turned there boost up to .9/1 bar yet and what fuel settings have you used from standard ???? thanks mark think i will get egt in the new year anyway

#436 · (Edited)
Turned my Fuel up 360deg only running 0.5bar at the moment and thats on 100% Veg Oil too T:

Needs more Boost i'll fit the boost controller next week and wind the boost up to about 0.7bar *<:)>

had my EGT's up to 600deg today on a motorway run that's the highest they've been so definatly needs more boost.

#440 ·
been running 1 bar on my van for 8 months since the conversion, done 10000 miles and she has never missed a beat but i do have an lda fitted, no probs with over heating at all did a infra red check on the exhaust and turbo housing( exhuast side during a dyno run and never got above 800, she is still running rich though as i need to get the lda tweeked as it is coming in too soon.
where abouts in bradford is that exhaust place brookster as they look to have done a good job

cheers all

#445 ·
Vanwreck

it cost arround £300 for all the parts required including the intercooler , the easiest way is to use all the Parts from a AJT or ACV 2.5TDI which all bolt straight on.

As you can see i used the Volvo V70 Parts and ACV Inlet manifold which need custom Oil Lines and Custom Exhaust connections T:

Worth the effort nd transforms the Van .

#444 ·
cheers for the address brookster,
the lda cost rather a lot from diesel bob but he did rebuild the pump at the same time,
still tinkering with the fueling on mine as it is a little lean on trundling but a little rich when the lda kicks in, i have been told i need to up the boost to even it all out but a little scared as already running 1 bar, having said that she passed her mot and is doing 45 to the gallon so cant be far out. i have a intercooler from a a6 mounted down in the well in front of the gearbox, but will probably need a bigger one in the future, first however i am going to get my injectors reconned and get a new exhaust.

you are welcome to come have a look though i do work daft hours just give me a shout and see if we can sort out a meet

al

#446 ·
Cheers Sandfly

i have had a price off Bob for the LDA fitting , he has already rebuilt the pump earlier this year so quoted £180 for the LDA fitting.

The bigger intercooler should help but with the LDA fitted you should be able to run 1.3bar i've been researching the IDI Turbo conversion and alot in the States are running 1.5bar with no issues. T:

#452 ·
fitted a EGT gauge and moved the boost gauge i fitted the gauge by ordering a EGR blank from ebay and welding the supplied fitting into the new blank so after a short run the temp was realy low so uped the boost what a difrence now pulls much better and a short run up the motorway and the temp rose to about 300 so now going to drive and moniter for a week or so and then adjust the boost to suit.

#453 · (Edited)
How much boost are you running Now Mole ?

repositioned my boost gauge now

the EGT Gauge is abit bright if you connect the back light on it , its a bright blue which is abit much on a night

i need to get a rev counter fitted , put the EGT in the tray for the moment

#456 ·
How much boost are you running Now Mole ?

i am running 0.5 at the moment as i havent had a good drive since fitting the egt gauge so will see how it goes in the next week and now doubt turn it up the only thing in the back of my mind is the head gasket as i havent changed it are you on the standard gasket ? just dont want to blow it

#462 ·
bit of advise on this please i am running .5-.6 bar boost on the motorway when up to speed the boost keeps rising and hits about .8 is this normal as the turbo just keeps producing boost as the revs rise ? the engine pulls fine and the EGT gauge has never been over 300c and on a short run tonight only just managed to come up from the rest position at 200c. am i ok to wind the boost up a bit more or do i need to adjust the fuel or does this sound ok

#465 ·
Remember Fuel = Boost

so the more Fuel you feed in with the peddle the more boost, once you hit maxium Fuel Delivery The Boost will stop , so more Fuel is required.

If you hit the Wastegate pressure easy you know you have enough Fuel for More .

Just Watch the EGT's don't go too high and the max boost pressure for a K14 is about 1.6bar :eek:

You head gasket may not like more than 1bar I:

(All of the above comments are my own opinions and i take no responsibility for Blown Engines) ;)

#471 · (Edited)
no more than 300 so quite happy with that i have a temp gun so checked the temps after a run and the turbo was at about 260 and the manifold at 235 the gauge read 220 at the same point i am going to wind the boost of a bit in the morning till the manual controller turns up as i don't want to blow anything if i can avoid it

#473 ·
it felt good just wanted to go and pulled very well i came of the motorway at 70 and up the slip road its fairly long by me so nailed the loud pedal at the bus picked up and pulled away like never before. just can't believe how much more drivable it is compared to when it was a plan old 2.4D

#474 · (Edited)
Update -

Additional Fuelling

i have now decided to go for my first plan on the additional fuelling under boost LPG T:

I've sourced the parts required and basically i will have a LPG Vapourisor adding the Fuel controlled by an Adjustable Pressure switch.

so when i get upto 0.3bar the LPG will kit in and add 10% LPG this will also give me a 100% burn of the Veg Oil / Diesel and lower emissions and EGT's.

The Current IDI Engine design only burns 80% of Fuel injected

so the LPG Enures a more efficient burn :D

some info here -

http://www.mrsharkey.com/lpg.htm

:ILU:

How it works:

Introducing LPG gas into the combustion air intake of a diesel engine acts as an accelerant, promoting the even burning of the diesel fuel, and more complete combustion, resulting in more power being produced. Many web pages and forum posts will call LPG a "catalyst" but this is not correct, as LPG creates no change in the molecular makeup of either the air or the diesel fuel.

Propane by itself resists self-ignition inside a diesel-fuel compression-ignition engine due to it's high flash point and narrow fuel-to-air ratio. During the compression stroke, the air/LPG mixture is compressed and the temperature is raised to about 400°C, not enough to ignite the LPG, which has an ignition temperature of about 500°C. In the small concentrations that LPG fumigation uses, the LPG mixture is not rich enough to be overly flammable and is more difficult to ignite. When the diesel fuel is atomized into the cylinder under high pressure, it immediately self-ignites (diesel ignites at about 385°C.), and causes the LPG to burn as well. Since the LPG is in mixture with the air, the flame front from the diesel spreads more quickly, and more completely, including igniting the air/fuel mixture which is in contact with the cylinder walls, which are cool in comparison to the super-heated air inside the combustion chamber. Much of the cleaner burning of the fuel is attributed to this ignition against the "cooler" components of the engine, and accounts for raising the percentage of combustion from a typical 75% for a well-tuned diesel engine running on pure diesel fuel alone, to 85-90% with the addition of LPG. Obviously, this more complete combustion also gives a nice boost in power, with an accompanying increase in fuel economy and reduction of pollutants.

Turbocharged diesel engines are able to realize a significant increase in power by using LPG fumigation. While the usual suggested increase is considered to be approximately 20%, by careful management of the gas introduction, power gains of up to 40% are possible

#475 ·
great write up brookster can't wait to see the outcome of this when it is fitted. i have just got in from work and my boost controller has turned up so its time to get the tools out again and get it fitted. i am sure people who go up and down my road must think my bus is so unraliable as most days i can be found out there fidling with something.

can't belive the amount of time this thread has been running and the amount of hits that its had that its not been made into a sticky yet

#476 ·
can't belive the amount of time this thread has been running and the amount of hits that its had that its not been made into a sticky yet

My last Engine Build Thread i did is @ 111k hits :D

Yeah i thought it would have been made a sticky or Technical T:by now.

The boost controller will only take you Half an Hour to fit , post some pix when you've done it A:

#477 ·
Aha! I have fixed the arterial oil leak from the base of the dipstick holder (beware, local VW dealer said the gasket is now discontinued), and have plumbed the air feed to and from the turbo and intercooler! As others have already said, the pick up is much improved, I can't wait to drive it... Have to sort out the custom exhaust tomorrow.

#479 ·
Finally getting near to gathering all the parts needed to get my 2.4 turbo'd :ILU:

I won't be running an intercooler initially, just swapping manifolds off an ACV on to mine.

Can someone point me in the right drection for the correct silicone pipes to link up manifold/turbo/air intake etc. Can't work out what I'll need exactly as I'm not sure on angles etc.

I'll be putting the inlet stub off the aab manifold onto the ACV manifold to start with athough want to get a pipe made eventually.

Any pointers will be appreciated.