Old 09-11-12, 18:01  
HOW TO - Remove steering rack for rebuild or replacment.
wagenman wagenman is offline 09-11-12, 18:01

Ok several people including me seem to have a leaking Power Steering Rack so i thought i would show how to remove the Rack ready for repair or replacment.

First get it jacked up and on heavy duty stands SAFTEY FIRST!!! I won't be held responsible if you get squashed!!!

Take off the front wheels

Undo clips or cables ties and slide back the rubber boots (some fluid may come out so put a container under to catch it!)

Using a spanner or big grips undo inner tie rod counter clockwise for both sides

Here they are removed

This is the rack with inner rod removed from it oil leaks from around here

Next get underneith and locate where the steering column meets the rack you will see a rubber boot

Push it up to expose universal joint

Mark the orientation between the joint and the plastic collar (tipex is good for this), then take out the bolt and push/wiggle the joint upwards (it will not come right off at this point untill rack moved)

Undo the 8mm bolt holding pipes to rack

Next undo the hydraulic pipes from the rack pinion (two 17mm nuts), again catch the oil!!

Push the pipes rearwards out the way

Now locate the 4 bolts that hold the rack to the subframe (16mm head 2 per side)

Once these are out move the rack to the nearside to fully remove the lower column UJ from rack pinion shaft, then move rack forword and bring offside of rack down 1st between subframe and engine

Thats all there is too it Here's mine next job is to clean up and strip down i have located instructions to do this via this link;

Non servotronic ( no elecrical connection to rack)

http://forum.bmwland.ru/index.php?ac...=post&id=26966

With servotronic (if it was ever fitted to T4 not sure)

http://forum.bmwland.ru/index.php?ac...=post&id=26967

Its from a BMW fourum but i think you will find that your rack is listed just check the plate on the rack, as you can see mine is the 7852 type;

All the best, Hope fully will add the strip down here too wish me luck

Last edited by JIMMYJAMES; 09-11-12 at 18:21..
wagenman
Van Man
Views: 20492
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Re: HOW TO - Remove steering rack for rebuild or replacment.
01-09-14, 09:13 #11
mracwalker
Van Expert

I have to remove my rack too, are the instructions the same for a 1997 rhd multivan 2.5tdi acv?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

17-11-14, 19:07 #12
gazp2001
Van Rookie

Great info and pics, thanks. Did mine this weekend, got it out just like the pics said but I wouldn't underestimate the effort in getting this job done.
The hydraulic lines are a pain to remove, tight space and been fitted since new make them a bugger, I recommend getting hold of some 17mm pipe spanners and be prepared for losing some knuckle skin.
I also had to fight the four bolts holding the rack to the frame, mine has got t50 torx bolts and they were very well in there, new torx socket required after bending the first one.
It's definitely a DIY job for the amatuer mechanic (that'll be me then) but it took me two days to fight the bolts and pipes off. Rebuilt took an hour

30-12-14, 20:02 #13
mushroom
Van Jedi

Used the guide to remove my rack although I had to do mine in a different order.
I had to use some 14" stillsons to undo the inner tie rods as they were stuck fast
I took all the 16mm mounting bolts out bolts out before I undid the pipes as my caravelle has rear heating and the pipes run down the left hand side close to the rack pinion. Then slid the rack to the right so I could get to the pipes

I bought a thumb ratchet to get the 16mm bolts out as they were too loose for a normal ratchet and too tight for my fingers.
It made this part a doddle

The steering rack bushes were shot to pieces, it might be an idea to change them when you pull the rack out anyway

23-01-15, 10:31 #14
enwsparks
Van Man

Hi,
This seems fantastic. The one only part I'm thinking for me is removing the rack after it is detached! I have a 03 plate 2.45TDI T4. Will I have to drop the subframe or won't I have to with a bit of a struggle? Also how long did this job take? (I will double the time scale as I'm a first timer!)

Thanks alot,
Ell

26-01-15, 10:17 #15
KBSteering
Van Man

When fitting the replacement steering rack. Make sure you tighten both tie rods at the time.

The rack bar can twist if fitted incorrectly, and turning your rack into a piece of scrap

24-05-15, 19:12 #16
hillshy
Van Guru

Just adding my pence worth from something that I found out recently. I had a totally different reason to swap my PS rack out on my 2000 2.5tdi but I used a 1.9td rack it had different part numbers but it fitted fine and works fine.

25-07-15, 20:09 #17
t4gwaun
Van Man

Brilliant followed it every steep and everything went great the only thing I had trouble with was getting the gaiters back on at the large end, but after a lot of thinking I turned the rime back on its self them pushed it up tight and rolled the rim back on many thanks for your thread. 😎😆😤😤😬😬😎😎😎Paul (t4gwaun)

17-04-19, 12:46 #18
MUNGAI
Van Rookie

I have been pondering all week long wondering if it is at all possible to remove the SR without dropping the subframe until I came across this post. I thought it was possible but I needed this confirmation. Thanks for the brilliant post. I will attempt to replace my one this weekend.

17-04-19, 20:29 #19
sprite1275
Van Guru

this needs doing on mine. Wheres the best place for a recon or a good garage in the midlands area ?

Tags
power steering rack, power steering removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in