VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Bonding the floor

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lambertine 
#1 ·
Hi folks sorry for this question however I have searched and can only find part of an answer.
My question is I have sound deadened my floor using silent coat and want to bond my plywood down to the floor rather than having a floater.
I appreciate that my RIB and kitchen will hold it down but I would like to belt and brace and bond.

Could one of you kind souls please tell me what product you have used to achieve this. I have seen sikaflex mentioned but there are several kinds of sikaflex.

Thanks in advance

Mark:D:*

#2 ·
I have not done mine yet and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong. I would have thought you would have to fix it down with screws/bolts? if you use a very good product like Sika Sikaflex EBT+ the fix would only be as good as the adhesive bonding the silent coat down, in the event of accident/vehicle roll etc. it could all detach?

#3 ·
Hi Cupra,
The floor will be held down with the rib bolts and kitchen however I thought if I bonded it it would maybe not squeak and I could make sure its 100 % level whilst the bonding may allow for any expansion or contraction. That was my thoughts anyway.
If iot detactches with all that on it we can use it for my final resting place :D

#4 ·
I have been looking at this....Geocel AIRBLOCK Low Expansion Flexible Foam
Fills voids & seals joints providing a huge improvement to energy efficiency
Creates a highly effective air tight barrier to help air seal buildings
Low expansion during application minimising chances of distortion to frames etc
With a flexibility that retains the airtight seal during natural expansion or contraction of the building materials
Fire rated with acoustic properties.

etc etc

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.c...5POxWWC8V4X8noylkGbF6ddqXnLObzuG5WBoCo3Dw_wcB

#5 ·
Sounds good stuff Cupra
I have bought some stuff like sika flex that remains flexible but has high grip initially.
Hopefully by the end of today my floor will be insitu. How exciting is that.
I will post up a piccy later if it all goes to plan and time permits
A:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.