VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Self Build Camper and Van - Safety Issues.

48K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  liesdehe 
#1 ·
As requested, a sticky thread for the discussion of Safety issues that concern Self Build Campers and Vans.

Such as Crash Tested Vs Non Crash Tested products.

Your views from either side of the fence (or sitting on it) are welcome here T:

#31 ·
When my baby daughter was born in July, I decided it was time to fit a decent seat/bed into the van. After weeks of research I decided to invest in a BEBB bed, not cheap but very safe. The reason I decided on the BEBB was two fold, the underbracing kit that is fitted is far better than anything I researched and secondly the bed comes with ISOFIX points which allows me to insert the car seat without worrying A:

#32 ·
With regards to beds/seats, had a customer ask me to look at theirs today as the seat belts wouldn't fit around their grandson properly.
Not had experience of rock and roll beds before and was socked to find that the 3-point seat belts had no shoulder anchorage point and just looped over the top of the seat and the bracket was just loose and sitting on top of the inercia reel and in order to get belt around me it had to be on full extension, that means that it doesn't leave any wraps on the inercia reel for grip.
Something else that i noted was the height of the back it was so low that it gave no support to my shoulders not very safe if shunted from the rear.
I don't know the full range that are out there all i would say is be carefull in your selection and be safe.

#35 ·
I am new to this forum and am just researching things before biting the bullet and actually buying a van. I was a bit suprised to see the way that cupboards are fitted together and will not be using corner blocks as they don't seem robust enough and in a crash who knows? full lenght battens for me and a positive fixing to the metal sides not the lining boards!

#37 ·
Having ummed and ahhed for way too long about buying a van and converting it myself, buying a van already converted or buying a Caravelle. I think I've decided to buy a Caravelle as all the seats will be factory fitted and I won't get into any insurance issues. Especially now as there appears to be new legislation concerning seats, (M1 pull-tesing).

I like the look of the slide beds that sit where the parcel shelf sits and then you fold the seats forward allowing the bed to slide over them, this means I'm not effecting the seats or belts in anyway when driving. Also has the added benefit of allowing heavier stuff to be stored under in without being worried about a gas bottle reshaping me or my passengers! When I go camping all my stuff goes in the boot behind a dog guard so I don't need to worry about stuff flying through the car, plus make sure all the heavy stuff is put in first!

Cheers

#39 ·
Having recently had my van written off thanks to a Muppet who thought it was ok to drive his 3 ton Van at 50mph round a bend on a wet single track lane, safety is at the forefront of my mind. The impact was something like 30-40mph and I had managed to stop ok, so as you can imagine could have been a lot worse.

I am very pleased to report that all my homemade furniture held together very well and everything in the cupboards and draws stand in the cupboards and draws, I can’t see any damage at all. There was a few light weight thinks on the floor that did no real harm but lesson learnt the new van (when I find it) will have everything anchored down.

I was most surprised at the Seat/Bed tho. As it’s only ever me and the miss in the van I didn’t want to pay out for an expensive tested seat. Having seen what happened to my bed, (which came from a company you have all heard of and I’m sure many of you have this bed in your van) I can only say I’m very glad I did not fit seatbelts to it or carry any passengers on it. The strong looking box section frame that sat on the floor now resembles a rocking chair and one of the front legs is bent out as my little wooden table hit it. This was installed by the makers and did stay bolted down but it was a real eye opener to the force involved in what was a relatively low speed impact all be it head on.

Also pleased to note that the FASP swivel base was ok, might be just me but keep thinking it’s a little more rattily know tho so think that will not get re-used.

#43 ·
Hi All

What about the seat belts fitted to most rock and roll beds, do people think they are safe?

Ive heard the suggestion that because they are fitted in such a way that the belt wraps around the middle part of the bed and has no fixed anchor point and the seat back is too low they are useless, is this true? Is there any regulations/saftey standards that need to be met, regarding insurance,mot etc?

Matt

#44 ·
Tyres are my number one buy which are correct for van. Having been involved in a bad house fire I am OTT with safety. I have 2 smoke alarms. One in the cupboard where all the electrics are and one in living area. Most will say OTT, but it will be all over for you in under a minute with smoke, very few people actually die from the fire itself. I also have a carbon monoxide detector.

#45 ·
Nice thread. I'm a newbie here, but like what I've been reading so far. :D (oh god I adore these old skool emoticons, they so get along with my T4)

Ok, crash related question:
I want to replace the wooden floor in the back and was thinking about a single piece of concreteplex. Is dat OK though? Or would 2 pieces be a smarter move? I'ld opt for it to be in one piece when it comes to dirt and moisture (kid spill drinks etc.) and the ease to load the car. For work I need to get a lot of gear in and out and in and out.. Have a concreteplex floor in two pieces now and it does great, but the gap annoys.
But guess I'm making structural changes this way as concreteplex is very hard material. When in a crash the car won't do the accordion move it probably should, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.