Old 23-03-19, 16:24
Van Pro

Default 1998 T4 abl fuel problem

Hi all ,my van won't start , I've undone an injector pipe and no fuel , I've changed the fuel filter though it looked fine and still no fuel to the injectors , I've check the pump solonoid and it is clicking but it's a very quiet click so is it working ? .
Right , is there a pump in the tank that sends fuel to the filter ? Or is it the main pump that feeds the injectors that sucks the fuel from the tank , I ask this because I turned the engine over and there was no fuel bing pumped to the filter from the tank , can anyone help , cheers , Chris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-03-19, 16:59
Serial Poster

Default Re: 1998 T4 abl fuel problem

maybe better in the 'Engine' section? - possibly a moderator could move this?

t4 diesel engines use the injector pump to draw fuel from the tank through the filter.

theres a few failure possibilities with the design....

the fuel pipes can fail allowing air into the system & stopping the fuel feed. (look at the injector 'leak-off' pipes and the stupid 'thermo-valve' on the return pipe at the filter)
the 'thermo-valve', this can crack & also has an 'O' ring that can let air into the filter that stopps the fuel from being drawn from the tank.....
inside the fuel tank, the 'sender' unit has the pickup assembly on it, this has a rubber bellows that accounts for the tank's movement (it's a plastic tank), this 'bellows' can fail & a common issue is that once fuel level drops below ~1/4 then the injection-pump scavanges air not fuel from the tank

then, theres the immobiliser setup (if still fitted), this can play up...
and...
the stop-solenoid itself..... (also, if the injection-pump starts to fail internally, theres the possibility that metalic fragments can stop the operation of the solenoid, usually when trying to 'stop' the engine as they sit on the solenoid's 'plunger' seat but that's another story )

if you are concerned about the solenoid itself, you can 'energise' it with +12v from the battery

if you decide the solenoid is dead then I buy replacements sold as for Landrover as they are sensible priced & without Scene-tax

as an example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVE...AAAOSwvR5aJS6D

Sorta.....

Rich.
Old 23-03-19, 19:39
Van Pro

Thanks so much for your lengthy reply with great advice , I've changed the filter and will be going to the cut of solenoid next , the main thing was , can anything in the tank stop the van running ? Because I wasn't sure wether there was actually a pump installed in the tank to help the feed , now I know the main engine pump draws the fuel on its own I don't need to check anything there , one think , can the part in the tank stop the van running at all or is it just for the fuel.gauge ? , With what you've said I think it's probably the solenoid , it is clicking but very quietly so I'm not sure it's working , I will try go through what you've advised and see if I have any joy , cheers , Chris .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in