Old 01-02-19, 11:38
Van Man

Question On the hunt for a camper

I thought I would say hi as I'm looking into a small campervan. My brother inlaw has been helping me as he's the mechanic guy.

All I was basically after was a small quirky campervan. Not after anything huge. Just something up from a tent ha ha. Ended up looking at VW's. T5's are quite big and pricey. My brother inlaw recons we want something with aircon and electric windows etc (i'm used to driving my 206cc cabriolet with electric windows. or my mum's 2001 nissan micra with winding windows, which i've grown up used to. either way all the bells and whilstles don't bother me).

my partner and I enjoy going to a convention every year, but fitting everything in the back of a cabriolet and driving for three hours gets a bit unconfortable. Hence why I suggested a campervan. But neither of us know what we are looking for hence why the brother inlaw has been helping. But every van we find gets turned down by him, which is understandable. He suggested we get a vivavo/primastar/trafic as they're new and cheap. But honest Johns says they have a lot of things wrong E.G the steering goes, brakes fail etc. Plus they're quite wide. I did mention a bongo to him and he immediately said 'nope'. We have been to view a few T4's. One had a previously unmentioned blown engine, another was asking a price for an immaculate camper interior, which was actually home made and covered in a piece of cheap fun faux fur (the cheapest bad quality fur you can get. I work with fabrics and spotted it immediately) and my brother inlaw was checking underneath and accidentally put his finger through the chassis. So i feel like i've been wasting my brother inlaws time and I've been feeling so disheartened with what feels like people slapping a high price tag on scrap metal and saying in their own words 'it is what it is, it's a v'dub' it feels like no one undercoats/maintains the vehicles but wants the value of it. There must be people out there who actually look after their vans? has anyone else been disappointed by a van viewing? or if anyone can point me to a small campervan (similar in size to a T4) I would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still going to view a van (although trying to get a joint decision out of my other half is like getting blood out of a stone)

this one was found by my sister and approved by my brother inlaw when I had nearly given up https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details so finger crossed it's meant to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-19, 20:03
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: On the hunt for a camper

Hi, it took many months searching before I found the "one" although it needed a little tidying up it was what I call honest as the seller hadn't tried to hide anything or tarted it up to sell. I drove up to view another in Nottingham after being assured it was in great condition to find 1, drivers door wouldn't open, 2 it wouldn't start and 3 it had grass growing in the rear amongst all the mud % wasted 3hrs of my time keep searching though you'll find what you want.
Old 04-02-19, 20:29
More than a little van obsessed

for ya !

Took us 18 months to find ours so we know what its like .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-19, 18:26
Van Man

thanks guys. I'm glad i'm not the only one to come across lemons. I'm gonna be going across to the isle of wight on sunday to have a look at one which looks pretty good on the MOT's. from the last MOT it looks like it needs a new front end exhaust, which would be a good idea to get done and from what i've read on here, get a stainless steel one fitted for about 300. So I will take that into consideration.

Even though i've done what feels like a years worth of research, I still feel like I have no idea what i'm doing ha ha.
Old 05-02-19, 19:27
More than a little van obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by labradorpup2001 View Post

Even though i've done what feels like a years worth of research, I still feel like I have no idea what i'm doing ha ha.
We've all been there mate , some of us still havent got much of a clue

Hope this one is what youre looking for
Old 05-02-19, 20:38
Van Guru

T5 Post Icon Re: On the hunt for a camper

Yes lots of disappointment before success with this looking for a decent van lark. Also as well documented on the forum, beware vans that are too good to be true for the price as they do not exist and you will lose your money to the scammers.

I always seem to buy cheap but in the knowledge that there are lots of things to put right. Personally I prefer to do the work myself or get someone I trust to do it, rather than rely on the sellers word that it has been done. But most people prefer to pay more and hope for the best.
Old 09-07-19, 13:56
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Re: On the hunt for a camper

Late response, but we finally got our campervan!

Her name is Florence and she came from the Isle of Wight!

She is a 2000 T4 2461cc TDI

originally from Southampton as a work van, moved with her owner to Totton, then her next couple of owners on the Isle of Wight, now with us, ironically, back in Totton!

All of the interior has been lovingly made by the previous owner. He even threw in a solar panel kit!

Now it's our turn to up keep her. Starting with undercoating her, which has just been done by us and took about three and a half pots of metal paint and just over a week to do in lovely warm and dry weather.

Next up is to tackle the rusty step. So I have a friend, which has just so happened to have just married a welder, who owns a T5 camper, so once they are off their honeymoon I will be getting a quote for that and any other areas that might need attention. But the other spots just look like surface rust, so will be getting some rust killer and tackling those bits.

oh, also just ordered a stainless steel exhaust from pptuning, as recommended by you guys! current exhaust looks like 'swiss cheese' and has previously been 'mended' with what looks like some kind of tape and a jubilee clip!

I am considering changing the stickers to something more colourful, but that is something that can be sorted at a later date as it's not a necessity.

We are also thinking about:

-electrics, suitable for day trip AND camping with electric hook up points. the solar panel is an optional source too.

-the bed is a bit too short for us, but fine for our two dogs, so we could get a pop top with bed fitted and leave the interior as it is for the dogs.

-but if we want it for a day van, we might want to use a kettle. we do have an electric travel kettle (so low voltage) which we could just use with the current set up, just change the electrics so we can use the leisure battery. (there is an issue with the crrent battery set up, which seems to drain the van battery).

-as we used to camp in a tent, which is currently for sale, we still have the gas bottle, camping cooker and table etc which we could use in the drive away awning we just bought (Vango Airaway Kela IV), if we don't install a hob in the van. Also most campsites have washing up facilities so a sink isn't a necessity.

-a fridge would be handy if we did change the interior. In the tent we just used an electric cool box.

I've made a pinterest of ideas and inspirations: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/labrador...-camper-ideas/
Old 09-07-19, 14:02
Van Man

T4 Post Icon Re: On the hunt for a camper

rusty old exhaust pipe and step that needs welding

Tags
camper, conversion, florence, hampshire, pptuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in