Old 12-08-18, 14:27
Serial Poster

Default Citroen Relay Stereo Fault

Apologies, normally I'd dig the right forum out of google to post this, but being a citroen van unsuprisingly there arent any worth the effort.

This is really aimed at electronic and electrical experienced people who have encountered relay vans and have good vehicle audio experience.

The issue requires some reading so i appreciate your patience, as follows :

Its my 2013 L3H2 work van im currently stuck with until its disposed of soon its coming to its end and doesnt merit non essential expence, hence this post.

Its got a VF250 stereo (lowest spec) and the horrid C1L telematics box. The radio electronics have failed such that the tuner circuits have no audio output to the amp, but otherwise the stereo is functional. The hassle is I use a bluetooth fm modulator for music from my personal phone and for a week now im stuck long hours with no music or radio!

I have to keep my work phone paired with the van for hands free, achieved via the steering wheel controls and the telematics box.

The hassle is, and typical french vehicle, the steering controls are canbus, so is the telematics box, which feeds audio to the stereo via the cdc audio pins on the stereos iso C3 connector, so even though the radio tuner is dead I still get handsfree audio for calls. The canbus also communicates by the usual C3 pins.

Even oem replacement stereos cost 200 to 300! So thats not happening with my money when the van might go in 2 months.

If I rip the stereo out and go aftermarket I can spend appx 100 on kit i can keep or resell.

Im going with a dual bluetooth sony mex-n4200bt, connects 2 CTSCT006 with sony patch lead and a single din adapter because the awful telematics box occupies the second slot in the double din space.

Heres my issue, im fairly certain even if I use the CTSCT006 steering control adapter, ill keep most of the steering controls with the sony, but ill lose handsfree audio from the telematics, however leaving it functional otherwise via the canbus etc.

Thats why dual bluetooth on the sony will keep ability to use paired work phone, but have berrer audio quality from my own phone via bluetooth audio streaming, and calls, and theoretically calls whilst controlling all from the steering wheel buttons.

All bought for 110 which is good value just waiting for delivery.

The bit im wondering about is will the telematics box continue to play nice as if ive worked it all out right may also be monitoring the steering buttons via canbus and will it play nice with the connects2 steering control adapter.

In theory im hoping yes if i use the vans instrumend display menu to wipe all phones out of the telematics menu so its got no need to monitor.

That said its french and clearly a non standard way to do it all vs what most makers would. Ill find out in a few days! If it works great when its disposed of ill chuck the old stereo back in. Plus if its better than the newer oem units great, because the brand new one will likely also be a relay.

Anyone got any input or experience with this ridiculous citroen setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-08-18, 20:27
Serial Poster

Default Re: Citroen Relay Stereo Fault

Ah well. Parts will arive by end of week will find out how it behaves or indeed misbehaves.
Old 15-08-18, 20:44
Serial Poster

Oh, and apparently this C1L unit is a blue&me system, and if its simply unplugged itll upset the ecu and cause a flashing odometer, disable some menu etc.

Theres a chance wiping all phones may keep it from being hassle without removal.

Load of excrement and typical French vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-18, 21:03
Serial Poster

Ok so typical saga ala French vehicle.

Ripped out telematics no lasting hassle just flashing odometer, ill sort that later.

Sony mex-n4200bt fitted, great unit for 50 usually a lot more new.

2 simultaneous connected paired phones work easily for calls and audio streaming on bluetooth.

As for the steering controls lol...

Bought a connects2 CTSCT006.2 as the ad states works for mfsw and relay 2013. Only it doesnt. Ad didnt mention its only for 6 function steering wheels.

On advice from seller returned CTSCT006.2 for refund and bought CTSCT007.2, thats for 8 function steering wheels. Only it isnt, not for my van. Returned for refund as seller support less use than an ashtray on a motorbike. Looking at wiring its all wrong just like 006.2 was.

Spoke directly to connects2, discussed van model and year, discussed wiring, 8 function canbus wheel etc etc. Non comitally C2 support say what I "probably" need is CTSFA004.2, a canbus adapter for an X250 fiat ducato. Pinout wiring in picture looks more promisin, well see anyway!

Could be right, fiat build most of the basic vehicle, then turn it over to pug and citroen to plug their drivetrain in and bolt their version of the plastics on.

Im not even going to talk about the facia adapter that turns out only fits some 2014 on, so does not fit mine, like the adapters its a nobody knows 100% situation lol.

At least with VW, good or bad, people tend to care more about talking through issues and customisation online a lot more!
Old 20-07-19, 16:20
Van Rookie

Did you ever get this sorted?

I'm in the same boat.
Citroen Relay 2013.

tried the CTS CT006.2 which is listed as compatable but didn't work.
exchanged for the CTS CT007.2 which is listed as compatable but still didn't work.

I also have the flashing odometer since i took out the legacy bluetooth.
Did you ever get that sorted on yours?

Did the CTSFA004.2 work in the end?

T.
Old 24-07-19, 19:48
Serial Poster

It did iirc, I know whatever worrked was the third item bought, however 2 things.

1. The steering controls didnt function in the original manner, they were a bit simpler and not all of the buttons worked, just the basics like track, volume etc, the telephone stuff I think didnt, but all I cared about was volume and track skip, I "think" one of the buttons became play/pause instead of what it was originally.

2. The engine failed catastrophically 6 weeks later so I ripped it all out again.

I waited 7 months for the company to replace the van, then left after being headhunted by another firm, and 3 days after I left they finally delivered the replacement van! So the 2 guys they had to replace me with got that and another van. :/

I might be wrong, but I might still have the facias (later and eralier versions), and the right adapter etc, Ill go have a dig, if I do you can have them for the cost of postage if you want? (And I can find them)

Ive got a huge Crafter with a gutless engine now, and this might sound crazy, but I hate it! And not just because of the engine either. I would have the Pug/citroen/ducato back any day, the Crafter is a huge disappointment.
Old 24-07-19, 19:49
Serial Poster

Sorry, forgot to answer, no I never could stop the flashing, you need to use whatever the $hitroen equivalent of VCDS is, or get a dealer to reset the system so it relears all the modules and doesnt fault/miss the one removed.
Old 24-07-19, 20:03
Serial Poster

Well I think youre sort of in luck.

Ive got the adapter here Im fairly sure it was the final one that worked, and its optional multi purpose steering control addon cable that was for the Duc/Citroen. Dont have the instructions though but should be simple enough to get set up.

I cant find the older fascia, but I do have the later 2014 onward one (single din).

That media control system was comically large wasnt it, a whole 1 din sized brick of rubbish lol, it was Microsoft who designed and supply it btw.

PM me if you can yet not sure if its limited by post count and Ill get some details.
Old 24-07-19, 20:06
Serial Poster

Sorry, tired, meant the controls adapter addon cable was the multi/sony one, I know there were different options though by make, but you might find them for sale separately if you need a different one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in