Old 18-03-19, 19:17
Van Pro

Default Re: LT46 Build. Amber

I really hope so. I often have a plan B. If this doesn't work then for plan b I'd get the old family sized tent out of the wall space. I Mean it's huge this tent. One of those with 3 bedrooms on it. Cut it up and glue the whole thing to the roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-03-19, 12:35
Van Pro

Was a nerve racking day yesterday, put on the rubber paint over the suspect areas like the instructions said before doing the whole thing. Had to wait 4 hours till it dried. Would you believe the sky went from blue to grey as soon as I finished. There was lots of looking out the window. Watching my clock and saying don't rain you.. well you get the idea. All was well.
I had to doctor the photo here so the white stuff showed up.
The suspect crack you can now see where it was. It's the pokey out part at the end after the aerial dome thing.

Been raining all night and it's raining now so fingers crossed. I'm going in for a look shortly. I'm trying to pluck up the nerve.

Old 25-03-19, 13:04
Van Pro

Too early to break out the party poppers. But not a drip, not a stain in 2 days. Might have nailed it.
Heres the stuff.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-04-19, 16:24
Van Pro

Party poppers away. No leaks. Not a drip. So spent a solid week rewiring a while back. Proper job this time around. Fuse box, fuses, wires the right size and a cut off switch just in case. Decided to put in a couple of new 12v sockets while I was at it and got a nice inverter to set up tomorrow for a proper TV. No more squinting at a tablet at night in bed. Took the ceiling down in the toilet room and fitted a new LED light as the other down lighter was a bit power hungry. Amazing how an amp or 2 mounts up.
Refitted just one solar panel and would you believe no wonder the batteries wouldn't hold last year. Duff controller box. All's great now we have 2 and a half days off grid before we hit the 50% drain.
Testing a timer on my 3 way 12v fridge. should cost me a days worth of power but If that works woohoo, if not I'll just swallow hard and buy a compressor one
Then again I'm tight I could always just run the engine for a little while. We'll see.
Aiming to refit the toilet with plastic panels to go with the new porta potty before season end.
Missus is sewing some new covers for the seats while all this is going on.
Really got the bug now.
Pictures soon.
Old 28-04-19, 19:44
Van Pro

Busy times and ups and downs
Leaked again, should have kept my mouth shut. I'll go up and get crazy with flashing tape. I found the thing, New one. Its on the skylight. Corner of the rubber isn't too clever. Simple fix flashing tape and that rubber stuff over the top.

Fridge timer idea didn't work. Batteries went flat after 2 cycles of 45 minutes. Well suppose if it did no one would buy a compressor fridge. Almost bought one until can't find one exactly the same size as my Electrolux RM 123E. With the messing about almost wrecking the inside of the thing doing the electrical refit, I'm not doing a kitchen again for the sake of a fridge. I like my kitchen in there. I'll just use it on camp sites with hookup and get a colmans coolbox the one that last a couple of days for the dogs meat and a tub of flora. We only go away for 2 days at a time so it will suffice.

Now the good stuff
I mentioned flat batteries. I did a tester, left them flat at night, looked in the morning, 13.6 volts back. yeah panel's working, shut off the power from the panel left it half hour and at 11 30 AM 2.7 volts showing on my meter. So at least that works. doesn't sound right charging that quick but I'm not overthinking it. I have power again.

Fitted the TV. Wired an inverter under the seat where the new electrics are put the inverter on my timer, aha see use everything me. Socket comes on at 9pm and turns off at 3am. Only use the TV for a couple of hours at night so be able to fall asleep to star trek a happy bunny.

Put in a waste water tank under the sink. Got a tap on the tank to a hose that leads outside that I can turn on from the cupboard. Not pretty, but works and cost a grand total of 7 quid to do. Piccies of that when I take them.

Toilet tomorrow, refit the ceiling, put up the new light and give it a bit of decoration to go with the new porta potty.

Clean it up and away we go.

Heres the picies from the refit, mouldy wall sorted now by the way.

My poor kitchen

Wire going through

Start of the wiring, I thought that was messy then, should see it now, I had to do a diagram to remind me what's what, I'll forget in a few weeks.

Tomorrows job get the ceiling back up.
Old 11-05-19, 23:30
Van Pro

And shes done. Just in time the sun has started to break through.
Chinese Diesel heater works great, its actually warmer in the van than indoors so watched a bit of TV in there.
Mandy the wife made some midge nets out of white muslin. Shes making a big one for the side door and the back opening when we open it right up. Thats a cheaper way of doing things we've used before.
All the seats have been recovered in a darker blue More turquoise I think and everything works again.
I was getting to the stage of hating the thought of another day working on her but now its finished it's all ahh and love again.

Pictures of the finished article soon but pretty much looks like it did in the previous finished photos with a TV on the wall. I'll get to work on the bodywork next, ready for the spray, and in a few months get her MOT ready all set for end of season. but when is the end of season? We have a heater that costs pennies to run now.
Old 20-05-19, 17:51
Van Pro

Leak update, would you believe it only comes in with really fine rain, I found it by checking the brown water that was oozing through, yep skylight. So armed again with trusty gorilla tape up I went. Hoping it holds.

Side note on our cheapness. Bought muslin off ebay for 20 quid, midge proofed the back and side doors and the window that opens. Real midge net would have cost over 100. Was out last weekend midges were on form, not a blighter got in, could see them trying but not a one.

Here's the roof Gorilla tape, got to love that stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in