Old 12-08-18, 19:11
Lord of the Crafters
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default New Crafter

Our T5/T6 travels have got ever longer and we are now seriously considering a bigger van with our own facilities to make us less dependent on camp sites and less prone to poor weather. So as a VW fan a Crafter seems to fit the bill and we can afford to buy new. So has anyone any advice of what to spec.? I would like to start with say;

LWB Highline
Auto
4 Motion if I can afford it
LED headlights

There are quite a few must / nice to have boxes to tick in the configuration / price list but are there any hidden options in the dealer info?

In fact has anyone got a copy of / link to the dealer options?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Volkswagen Crafter?
My friends all drive Sprinters, I must make amends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-18, 20:57
Van Jedi
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New Crafter

Highline spec for me. With a few options......

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/ap...ne?page=engine
Old 13-08-18, 07:04
Van Guru

Hey Van Blanc,

Funny you should bring this up, i'm almost finished my T6 Conversion and we are looking at building on the New Crafter MWB / LWB 4 motion chassis in 2 years time.

As we have decided that we will need more room for a shower as we plan on shipping a camper to the States for a 18 month trip.

I'd stretch for the 4 Motion, LED lights are a no brainer if you want to see, my T6 lights are candles.

If you do find out more hidden options or info please post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-08-18, 07:25
Van Guru

Can't help re Crafter specs - but would definitely agree that getting a bigger van is great for all weather camping

Only potential downsides are height & length! Make sure it'll fit on your drive & don't forget that many car parks have height barriers these days
Old 13-08-18, 07:26
Lord of the Crafters

Hi again Bryn

Glad to hear you have made progress. Our T6 has been great for the past couple of years but we find on longer trips the amount of stuf we have to cart around is a pain. It makes wild camping and Aires difficult because we have no where to put it overnight especially when itís wet. We want to be able to travel spring, summer and autumn if not winter and 2 adults and a wet dog in a T6 isnít working well.

We have made a decision that we need need to join all the other big campers but we don5 wonít a Caravan with an engine, we want a panel van. Then we donít like all the layouts and equipment we see and I canít say I am a fan of Fiat Ducato so it has to be Crafter or Sprinter. In which case we will stick to VW. We are in Norway atm, see https://vanblanc.blog, but as soon as we are home I plan to borrow a LWB to make sure I can get it on the drive and have a look inside and underneath. If all things are equal we will order one and do a fit out over the winter.

I will let you know what I find out beyond the online configurator but keep an eye on my FB Page @sussexvanbalnc and the blog above.

Itís going to be yet another project as if in needed another one - see FB @bugblanc 😂

Rgds

Alistair

Old 13-08-18, 08:42
Lord of the Crafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashfly View Post
Can't help re Crafter specs - but would definitely agree that getting a bigger van is great for all weather camping

Only potential downsides are height & length! Make sure it'll fit on your drive & don't forget that many car parks have height barriers these days
Height was a big consideration for T5&6 as they were/are daily divers but with big van we need a car as well. In Europe big campers tend to be better catered for than in the UK and here in Norway it is definitely not a problem.

I think I will be able to get a LWB on our drive with an N point turn. I am borrowing one from the dealer to have a go. If anything our problem will be getting a car on as well and my garag3 is full of Bug project. Her in doors fancies a Polo GTi so not too big so hereís hoping.

Old 14-08-18, 05:16
Van Guru

Thanks for the blog link Alistair,

I enjoyed reading it.

We have been out camping quite few times with our old dog, It's a tight fit, but we have been lucky that it was fine weather, and he sleeps under the RIB at the moment

We don't have too many height problems with our Midroof T6, with MaxxFan, Solar and a Seikel lift kit, but then we don't have a lot of height bars for car parks.

Although, i did get caught out last week, when we ducked into the the grocery store and they had lowered the height barriers from the week before from 2.5 mtr to 2.4 mtr
Old 14-08-18, 06:19
Lord of the Crafters

So the first problem I see from the literature is that the internal height without any trimming is 1961mm but a 4Motion is only 1861mm before floor, roof lining and skylights. Presumably this is to accommodate the drive train but it knocks 4Motion on head.

Old 14-08-18, 06:51
Van Master Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: New Crafter

Good luck with the Big Bus build Van-Blanc
Very much looking forward to this.
Have been thinking about going bigger for about a year now.
After a wet weekend away last week in my T5 SWB, a Big Bus is seriously on the cards.
Old 24-08-18, 13:05
Lord of the T4s

I will be watching progress on the proposed Crafter build with interest as we have been pondering such a move for some time.

I've converted five campers in the past fifteen years a T4, 3xT5s & a T6 all LWB hightops so it's not all new to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in